DysoForums Forum Index DysoForums

GalleryGallery   Donate to DysotopiaDonate   Dysotopia.com homepageDyso.com
SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStats   RegisterRegister 
 Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Meaningless deaths - old issue, not-so-new ideas

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DysoForums Forum Index -> Suggestions - History
View previous topic :: View next topic :: Hide signatures  

What would make death more meaningfull?
Not being able to respawn and having to wait for someone to resurrect you
17%
 17%  [ 3 ]
Having to face a lot of difficulties in the afterlife in order to come back to the material world
82%
 82%  [ 14 ]
WHAT!? Death is meaningfull enough right now!
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 17

Ectovult
Elder

Level: 24
XP
EXP: 57 / 68 EXP: 57 / 68 EXP: 57 / 68
 83%
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 12:14 pm    Post subject: Meaningless deaths - old issue, not-so-new ideas Reply with quote

Ok people... everyone playing on Dyso is aware of this so I'm keeping this short...

As we all know, deaths mean almost nothing, and people dont care if they die.
Some even kill themselves in order to get to a rift gate quicker!
The penalties applied when someone dies are a joke, especially when you arrive at lvl 20 and the only thing you REALLY have to loose is gold. But that's usually not a problem.

This affects the RP hugely. icon_confused.gif

My suggestion is to make death permanent.
By this I dont mean loosing your character when you die. Not at all... you just wont be able to respawn.
The only way one can come back is by being resurrected. Even if you log off, when you come back, you'll still be dead.

This could be a big improvement. And it wouldnt be as hard as that... people would start partying more, and even if they were alone, there would always be people passing by to resurrect us.

A big advantage that i see in this is when it comes to wars...
Lately we have seen a lot of discussion about how wars are taking place and the fact that respawning is unfair in those cases. This would solve that problem.

To complete this idea, I was thinking that we could add a new Badger type... "The Resurrecting Badger" (llame name, i know). This badger would hang around some areas (or all of them) and resurrect people when they found them.

I understand that later on Gesh wants to develop heaven and hell, so this idea needed a few changes in that case.
Instead of HAVING to wait, things would remain the same as they are now. You would be given the chance to respawn, going to heaven, hell or limbo. BUT once there, you would have to face a series of obstacles (monsters/traps/etc) in order to be able to come back to the material world.
That way, it would sometimes be better to just wait to be resurrected.

This would bring more meaning to death in my opinion.

Comments please.
Nefiorim
Elder

Level: 26
XP
EXP: 37 / 78 EXP: 37 / 78 EXP: 37 / 78
 47%
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A res badger? Can anyone say rezrape?
Just increase the duration one would have to spend in the afterlife, and implement deity's and their avatars there, and everything will be okay.
View users profile Send private message
Adario
Adept

Level: 8
XP
EXP: 16 / 19 EXP: 16 / 19 EXP: 16 / 19
 84%
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good idea, actualy i was going to post something about the death penalty...death is not death at the time...some people actually kill each others to get to cities faster (shouldnt this be rp-server?)...

So, i think the respawn idea is good. Badgers (or whatever respawns you then) should be very rare and slow. Not like: you have to wait 2 mins to get respawned. Then, if the server restarts you should get respawned also, but you would lose the xp/gp of course.

I want to see people killing each others to get to the cities then icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif
Uin
Hardass

Level: 33
XP
EXP: 60 / 117 EXP: 60 / 117 EXP: 60 / 117
 51%
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm getting annoyed with these player created polls.
Sure the death/afterlife system needs changed, but Gesh does already have his plan. Let him get on with it. A simple 5 min holding pen will do until he can implement something decent.
View users profile Send private message Send email AIM Address MSN Messenger
Ectovult
Elder

XP
 83%
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey.. dont get mad Uin... this is an open forum...
The poll is just to help Gesh get an idea of the acceptance.

And i do believe that suggestions are welcome... at least they should be...
Adario
Adept

Level: 8
XP
EXP: 16 / 19 EXP: 16 / 19 EXP: 16 / 19
 84%
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

And i do believe that suggestions are welcome... at least they should be...

why here would be "suggestions"-forum if suggestions are not allowed...? icon_confused.gif icon_rolleyes.gif cussing.gif
ShadowCore
PostWed 01/29/03 1:28pm
In any case, from what i have heard, Gesh's idea will be great, and I don't really think this discuddion is needed.  Reply with quote

Adario
PostWed 01/29/03 1:44pm
okay. good to know... emot-yum.gif  Reply with quote

Ectovult
Elder

XP
 83%
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just think that, considering the late events (the WR vs Alliance War) proved that this new system is urgent!

If people are prevented from respawning, or at least have to spend more time in the afterlife, battles will be a lot more fair.
The only way they will come back to battles is if they are rezed, which is a perfectly acceptable RP situation.

(im not rushing anything, just highlighting the situation) icon_wink.gif
M-K
PostThu 01/30/03 3:34am
Id simply say death results in the loss of levels 1 or 2 automatic death then has a price and a 5 min penance to invoke some humility...why not??  Reply with quote

Jon316

Level: 51
XP
EXP: 189 / 280 EXP: 189 / 280 EXP: 189 / 280
 67%
PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what I had in mind a long time ago, why I repost them? No clue.

1. Half of your current XP based on level.
works like this if you have 19,000 XP (level 6) and you die, it will set you back to half of your current XP meaning somewhere about back to 17,500, and if you die again quickly after it and lose another 2500 XP you are back to level five... I'm not sure if this comes across very well but let me try to clarify:

10000 XP-level 5

You die, lose half of what it is for level 5, making it NOT HALF OF YOUR TOTAL XP, just half of what you have, which if the level was based 1000 level 1 3000 level 2 6000 3 level 8000 level 4 and 10000 level 5, you lose 1000 XP setting you back to 9000 and half of your current level XP, making it if you die again, lose another 1000 XP and set you on the dot back to level 4

2. Lootable corpses

3. Drop a few equipped items on death (EQUIPPED, NOT BULLETS FROM INVENTORY)

4. 2 equipped items and 4-5 stolen items on death

5. half of your gold on death making it lootable, got 1 million gold? lose 500k on death, perhaps this could be cut to 1/4th 250k.

6. permanent death, removal from the vault and no more char.

Any combo of these or new ideas which i believe falkor made a few good ones somehwere else but these are what the solutions came out to i think...

anyway, one things for sure, it needs to mean something more than just "oops i died, LOL!!! respawn and come back" ect ect its very weak for RP when i killed a theif in RP and cant get my stuff back

and when the vaults wiped and no more immunes are in the game, rougues will stand a chance as well.... ever seen a dc 18 stun weap for a 10 rouge? well mr half orc fux0r melee with -6 will will be outta luck without his pussy mind immune, lol.... gawd i cant wait for the wipe so it will be a whole lot better....arg
Jon316

Level: 51
XP
EXP: 189 / 280 EXP: 189 / 280 EXP: 189 / 280
 67%
PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

err made a goof up on #1 but i think i made it clear enough you got my point, lol i messed the levels up... if you had 10k xp and were level 5, even losing 1 XP would drop you to level 4, but you get my meaning, that would make it fairly decent, 2 strikes and ya out.
Grim's Revenge
Mortal

Level: 3
XP
EXP: 4 / 9 EXP: 4 / 9 EXP: 4 / 9
 44%
PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OOOOH BOY. Try taking a look at Gesh's mission statement, It will be taken care of for pete's sake. For now, deal with death the way it is. Gesh will get it all fixed up nice and pretty for you when he is ready. Give it a break guys, i mean really who mod is this anyways.

and the answer is.......NOT YOURS, let Gesh do it in his own time.

Grim's Revenge

P.S. Sorry I'm a bit testy today. icon_mrgreen.gif
"I cannot do anything to enforce role playing...this is something that players themselves have to do on their own...and it usually will spread because of peer pressure. If other people see you role playing, they will feel more comfortable playing their character as well." ~ Geshtal. Profound words from a great man, lets everyone try this a little.
Ectovult
Elder

XP
 83%
PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

i do believe that suggestions are welcome... at least they should be

Geshtal
PostThu 01/30/03 6:28pm
icon_mrgreen.gif  Reply with quote

Marine436
Lamer

Level: 34
XP
EXP: 75 / 124 EXP: 75 / 124 EXP: 75 / 124
 60%
PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont know about you people, but when the head devloper does a " icon_mrgreen.gif "

then we may want to be a little scared..........
Ectovult
PostThu 01/30/03 7:08pm
agreed...

scaryyyyyyy icon_rolleyes.gif

Little Teapot
PostFri 01/31/03 2:42am
::shiver::  Reply with quote

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DysoForums Forum Index -> Suggestions - History All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: