DysoForums Forum Index DysoForums

GalleryGallery   Donate to DysotopiaDonate   Dysotopia.com homepageDyso.com
SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStats   RegisterRegister 
 Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Out of Character Lounge...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DysoForums Forum Index -> Suggestions - History
View previous topic :: View next topic :: Hide signatures  

Would you like to see an OOC lounge?
Yes, I like the idea of having a place to go and talk OOC with people.
56%
 56%  [ 26 ]
No, I don't think we should have a place to talk OOC.
34%
 34%  [ 16 ]
I don't care if you add this or not.
8%
 8%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 46

Geshtal
Lead Project Manager

Level: 28
XP
EXP: 72 / 87 EXP: 72 / 87 EXP: 72 / 87
 82%
PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 6:34 pm    Post subject: Out of Character Lounge... Reply with quote

What do you guys think of having an out of character lounge or inn in Eleriiana where people can go to get to know each other OOC? This would help you get to know people and who athey are before you started playing with their characters...

Just a thought someone mentioned to me...

And OOC does not mean you can cuss ans swear...it means that you can follow the EULA as you always did but this time you could talk about real life happenings instead of being arrested for being OOC. icon_wink.gif
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address
Kuma
Dyso MOD| Forum MOD

Level: 17
XP
EXP: 40 / 41 EXP: 40 / 41 EXP: 40 / 41
 97%
PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent Idea, I support it, this way I will be able to cuss everyone :: evil smile ::

Oh wait... :: notices the no cussing and swearing bit ::

Blah, erase this idea icon_wink.gif
View users profile Send private message AIM Address
Uin
Hardass

Level: 33
XP
EXP: 60 / 117 EXP: 60 / 117 EXP: 60 / 117
 51%
PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, thought we were trying to create an RP MOD. A consession like this is only acknowledging poor RPer needs.
Plus we have forums. emot-yum.gif
View users profile Send private message Send email AIM Address MSN Messenger
Weeman
Mortal

Level: 3
XP
EXP: 6 / 9 EXP: 6 / 9 EXP: 6 / 9
 66%
PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think people already do enough ooc talking in the game. If someone needs to tell someone something ooc. They should come up in the chat room and discuss there. If you are trying to make the server more roleplay than that aspect would have to be enforced more so people are actually Roleplaying, Not just hack and slash. I think the lack of roleplay just makes it like any other lame game that you would play. Might as well just follow the footsteps of everquest if its Crowdbase, not roleplay that you seek.

Weeman
View users profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Drudley
PostWed 01/22/03 8:20pm
Bah, think people, this might reduce ooc talking around in all other areas, and limit it to this ooc lounge  Reply with quote

Ectovult
Elder

Level: 24
XP
EXP: 57 / 68 EXP: 57 / 68 EXP: 57 / 68
 83%
PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant!

I think it's a great idea... and even if it doesnt solve the OOC problem on the rest of the areas, at least it will be a fun place to be in and chat a bit when you're tired of being IC.

I vote YES.
Geshtal
Lead Project Manager

XP
 82%
PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife actually came up with this idea. She is new to role playing and to DnD and has taken an interest in what I spend all this time on at night. I got her started out with a fighter and she has been playing it while I'm gone at work.

I told her to make sure she stays in character or she'll ge arrested so today she asked me how she is ever supposed to get to know REAL people if everyone is forced to stay in character.

That got me to thiking...so I asked her what she thought of a place where people could go and be their REAL selves...a lounge or an inn. She liked the idea because she wanted to get to know some people before she started just teaming up with strangers. That is why I created this poll...

Thi swould be a grea place for me to have OOC meeting with players so that they could voice their opinions to me and we could work on resolving bug issues and such. Sometimes it's hard to keep track of 10 people /telling me things at once OOC and I could just have everyone come to the "Voice of Freedom Bar" someplace and we could all sit around and talk OOC about things...issues, players, etc. This would be a great place for moderators to have meetings as well as for DM's to discuss ideas and such...even though they DO have their own chat channel.

Anyway, I see we all have mixed feelings on this after one day of the poll so we'll let it run a few more days and see what we all come up with.
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address
Uin
Hardass

Level: 33
XP
EXP: 60 / 117 EXP: 60 / 117 EXP: 60 / 117
 51%
PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just called Gesh's Wife a poor RPer, oh dear. *disappears without trace*

If it was to be added then I'd have to start jailing for all OoC chat that get thrown around willy nilly. So it may work, may not work.
Little Teapot
Deity

Level: 39
XP
EXP: 31 / 160 EXP: 31 / 160 EXP: 31 / 160
 19%
PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

should you choose to do that you could hold it in The Pit Tavern, or hav a room dedicated to this purpose in teh tavern, to symbolize the type of talking that used to take place there (in The Pit). or I could just be half-crazy, either way, it'd just be renaming the building as opposed to making a new one.
   het ziet er toch wel een beetje naar uit dat we nederlands praten
Matthijs says:
   mischien moet ik dan maar eens vaker nederlands gaan praten
Matthijs says:
   kan je me ook meteen niet op al mijn spellinsfouten wijzen
There you have it! indisputable proof Solo's a fascist!!!
Solo_Core
PostWed 01/22/03 11:49pm
why not just say the pit IS the ooc area, i don't know anybody who goes there for rp reasons. well exept that one hashmeer tourney.  Reply with quote

Glorin
The Badgermouthed

Level: 51
XP
EXP: 82 / 280 EXP: 82 / 280 EXP: 82 / 280
 29%
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea, whenever u try and have ooc conversations in north eleriina u always end up with someone attacking u or something, which makes sense cuz its an arena ;0
[quote:a89551bc29="AliZee'"]that shits utterly devoid of any meaningless sense...i tottally disagree on tha basis that tha argument you have pressented is full of actual facts and shit, i think based on tha fact that i have no idea of what tha fuck you were talkin gabout i would have to wholoeheartedly proclaim that you are wrong.
Thank you,
AliZee'[/quote]
View users profile Send private message Send email MSN Messenger
Uin
PostThu 01/23/03 12:40am
The Pit and North El are NOT OoC areas, they are CvC areas.  Reply with quote

Geshtal
Lead Project Manager

XP
 82%
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The point of enforcing role playing is to form a sort of continuous story line that is always happening for people on the servers...but it's xtill VERY important to get to know people you play with OOC.

People play multiplayer games to form relationships...can any of you imagine how you'd feel if I didn't know you OOC? If I didn't realize you're gone cause you fenced with your trumpets? Didn't know where you lived? Didn't understand your OOC lives and gave you breaks in game because of that? I personally like to get to know my players in AND out of character. Chatting with someone can be jsut as fun as role playing with somoene.

WE ARE NOT A HARD CORE SERVER! icon_wink.gif We are a server where FUN still comes first...it just happens that when people RP most of the time it's a lot more fun for everyone cause they are less likey to start throwing "Glorin's Ma" jokes around in game...

Serious OOC conversations are what this place woiuld allow...getting to know people and people getting to know you...not craking jokes at people.
Kindo
Great Deity

Level: 48
XP
EXP: 6 / 245 EXP: 6 / 245 EXP: 6 / 245
 2%
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like the lounge to have rules *against* IC talk then. I would not want some hard-ass roleplayer come and ruin my OOC chat with someone. icon_smile.gif
Y

Level: 51
XP
EXP: 189 / 280 EXP: 189 / 280 EXP: 189 / 280
 67%
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know it might not be proper role play but I like to be able to freely ooc from time to time. creating an official ooc zone is a step toward removing this freedom.

+ for ooc you have tells and party

well ok we use those for private IC... but :p
Zedium
Hero

Level: 22
XP
EXP: 6 / 59 EXP: 6 / 59 EXP: 6 / 59
 10%
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm, I love the idea, its almost an IRC channel, only ingame icon_biggrin.gif, nice would be to have room for different discussions, like on IRC.

maybe also put in a shop that allows you to buy cool clothing(no bonusses) so you can be yourself in the room, not that halforc in shining armor.

and also add people who only have mod powers inside the inn (in the form of an inn owner and waitresses/waiters), so cussers and the such can be kicked.

I think the Inn should not be located inside the dyso continent, maybe it would be a good idea to give people an item with special powers to port them to the inn when not in combat and while in a no PVP area. that way you don't have to bother walking there. When you go outside you just return to the area where you entered the Inn.
Geshtal
Lead Project Manager

XP
 82%
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I'll add a feature to the emote wand to warp people there...that way people can't use the warping ability to escape battles cause you can't have a conversation while the person is "busy" being attacked or fighting. Maybe there is a way to see if "GetCanRest(player)" so I could base it off that...

Then you returnto whence you came by leaveing the Inn...warps you back to where you were.

The idea of this is not to eliminate OOC chat between people in the field...it's jsut to have a place where people who want a break from the game can go to OOC chat and maybe team up with other people.

I'm thinking also that we should declare some official areas for people to team up...so I'm gonna try to give people mroe to do in Inns so that they will want to hang out more in these places. Many a great tabletop adventure begins with meeting people in an Inn...not in the middle of the woods. icon_wink.gif
Siao222
Master

Level: 11
XP
EXP: 7 / 25 EXP: 7 / 25 EXP: 7 / 25
 28%
PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2003 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea cause I'm still new to the mod and its always hard for me to be IC all the time, having the lounge sure can relieve some from all the RP. icon_biggrin.gif

I have one question if the lounge is full of people having different conversations won't this cause quite a lot of confusion? icon_confused.gif
Geshtal
Lead Project Manager

XP
 82%
PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2003 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thus the reason it's in design phase.

The lounge will contain several different "rooms" where people can go to talk about different things...it would be a virtual representation of an IRC server...each room will have a sign on the outside telling you how many people are inside that room and you can then go into whichever room you'd like.

Each room will most likely have an OOC theme such as "Meet with the Developers" where I will go when I'm in game to talk to people about things...or "Get to know people" which will be used for chatting about who you are and finding out who other people are...it's all still in design but I think a system similar to that would work well. It would allow people to "talk" and not disrupt other rooms.
Marine436
PostThu 01/30/03 2:55pm
i personally dont like this idea, if i wanted to talk to people OOC id go to a action server, ect

im here to RP !

Ecusidor
Hero

Level: 20
XP
EXP: 35 / 52 EXP: 35 / 52 EXP: 35 / 52
 67%
PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im afraid that it will attract too many people (ppl who already play Dyso). A lounge full of ppl being OOC, and a large empty Dyso world out there with only a hand full of RPers left... *hairs in his neck are rising*

Also, Im afraid that it will attract more PPers and bad RPers to Dysotopia...

Ah, well, time will tell I guess... icon_confused.gif

Ogt wrote:
Master ecuisidor you are the one and ony bard in the whole island, as i have said before to you, you are the man!!!!!

ShadowCore wrote:
I'll vote Ecusidor. Go you!!!!!!!!!!! You're also one of the best bards on the isle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(the only competitor for THAT title seems to be Kathryn icon_biggrin.gif)
View users profile Send private message Send email
Marquis Drayfox
Fox Child

Level: 32
XP
EXP: 6 / 111 EXP: 6 / 111 EXP: 6 / 111
 5%
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... I see how neutral of a conversation this is. I say put it in for people who DO want to get to know others this way. Its simple: People will want it, will go into it, whereas people who don't want it, will stay out of it.... its pretty fair logic I would say icon_cool.gif
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DysoForums Forum Index -> Suggestions - History All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: