DysoForums Forum Index DysoForums

GalleryGallery   Donate to DysotopiaDonate   Dysotopia.com homepageDyso.com
SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStats   RegisterRegister 
 Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Objectives for War

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DysoForums Forum Index -> Suggestions - History
View previous topic :: View next topic :: Hide signatures  
Glorin
The Badgermouthed

Level: 51
XP
EXP: 82 / 280 EXP: 82 / 280 EXP: 82 / 280
 29%
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 6:31 pm    Post subject: Objectives for War Reply with quote

I had this idea:

each organization that is formed is able to create their own creature (looks wise) as a Guard of the Organization, these creatures could be summoned by DM or a guild item. only usable by the guilds leader. These creatures (im thinking humans) would be scripted to protect the Leader of the Guild by accountname. Say Laz is fighting his creatures would be following laz around and fighting ne one that trys to hurt him. these creatures should be the same level as the leader and prolly be around 5 of them. Both guilds would have their guards protecting the leader

Wheres the DM come in?

The Dm moderates this and sets the objective. I was thinking the best objective would be Kill the Leader. This would cause an Attack- Defend type of thing. Everyone in the guild including the creatures would be fending off attacks protecting their leader, but the attacker's leader would be left open and an assassin or someone could get him. Its Attack- Defend, when the DM sees one of the leaders die he calls an end to battle and a victory for the team whos leader is still alive. Ressing of the leader should only be allowed once im thinking, otherwise the battles may be too short heh.

hey its an idea, and attack-defend is fun.
[quote:a89551bc29="AliZee'"]that shits utterly devoid of any meaningless sense...i tottally disagree on tha basis that tha argument you have pressented is full of actual facts and shit, i think based on tha fact that i have no idea of what tha fuck you were talkin gabout i would have to wholoeheartedly proclaim that you are wrong.
Thank you,
AliZee'[/quote]
View users profile Send private message Send email MSN Messenger
M-K
Elder

Level: 24
XP
EXP: 57 / 68 EXP: 57 / 68 EXP: 57 / 68
 83%
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about banners is that feasible armies have always carried banners flags etc and in old time their loss had an effect on morale often because of the religious conurtations of their loss ie that the Gods no longer favor them..some form of coulorful insignia that would be placed at the commencement of hostilities its loss or capture would mean victory and prompt retreat **morale loss **of the loser..Then could campaign to recapture as the Romans did to recapture the Eagles lost by the legion in its defeat in the German campaign
"It is almost universally felt that when we call a country democratic we are praising it; consequently, the defenders of every kind of regime claim that it is a democracy, and fear that they might have to stop using the word if it were tied down to any one meaning."

-George Orwell

"Orwell was right : Pacifists are the objective allies of tyrants."

As said by Pompey the Great
Do not talk to us of Laws.we have swords
View users profile Send private message
expansia
Grandmaster

Level: 17
XP
EXP: 10 / 41 EXP: 10 / 41 EXP: 10 / 41
 24%
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds like capture the flag to me, except with medieval/Knights of the Roundtable overtones. In all serousness, it sounds like a lot of fun. icon_eek.gif I'd like to have a battle with a clear-cut goal, and not just the chance for everyone to PvP each other contuniously. It could also potentially involve more rp...getting people together for a crusade, having the gods frown on you for loosing, carrying the banner back through town, etc. I haven't seen a good parade in Eleriina since I've been here.

A spin-off (or maybe a blending of Glorin and M-K's ideas?) would be a DM-run flag event. For example, Dunge pops up, hands Ogt a flag, laughs, and disappears. At that point, Ogt has a few precious moments to rally his friends to help him defend the flag before someone notices he has it in his hand. After maybe 30 min of real time, the group in possession is declared the "winer" by Dunge. They get a parade through the town of their choice, then have a post-victory party at the inn. Dunge takes back the flag after the winner is declared to prevent any further fighting.

I'm not seeing this as a typical DM event, but more like a weekly tourney or something, a controlled free-for-all. A bonus to the DM's would be that they wouldn't have to supervise the whole thing, just come back at the end. They could also throw the crusaders a surprise or two if they wanted.

There are also plenty of logistics I haven't figured out. Other than disarm, I'm not sure how you'd capture the flag from someone else... That kind of limits the possibilities. It also might be a dumb idea, which is extremely limiting. lol
Glorin
The Badgermouthed

Level: 51
XP
EXP: 82 / 280 EXP: 82 / 280 EXP: 82 / 280
 29%
PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there will be plenty of that in gloth expansia, trust me icon_wink.gif

just want some kind of structure and clear cut goal in battle as you said so that all this controversy and pking sprees can stop.
[quote:a89551bc29="AliZee'"]that shits utterly devoid of any meaningless sense...i tottally disagree on tha basis that tha argument you have pressented is full of actual facts and shit, i think based on tha fact that i have no idea of what tha fuck you were talkin gabout i would have to wholoeheartedly proclaim that you are wrong.
Thank you,
AliZee'[/quote]
View users profile Send private message Send email MSN Messenger
Grok
Grandmaster

Level: 15
XP
EXP: 4 / 35 EXP: 4 / 35 EXP: 4 / 35
 11%
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

heh Laz doesnt need a creature to follow and defend him I do that job quite well thank you (sharpens his axe of culling with an evil grin icon_twisted.gif )
zak_fel
Hero

Level: 21
XP
EXP: 8 / 56 EXP: 8 / 56 EXP: 8 / 56
 14%
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once again!
I make my point!

NO DMs ON DYSO!!!
no way anything can happen!!!

Dont ppl see! icon_twisted.gif

Where were the DMs when the battle of slyvandale between the White Rose and Ogt's Alliances?
Where were the Dms when the the last No-Holds barred trouny was held?

Two words:
OFF LINE

nuff said icon_evil.gif
Conrad Hollows
Har-Rhun Project Leader

Level: 38
XP
EXP: 13 / 153 EXP: 13 / 153 EXP: 13 / 153
 8%
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately these things don't happen in a vacuum, Zak.

I have said before that wars and such could be "policed" by DMs and/or moderators in the past IF the involved parties (or at least one side) would try to contact the DMs/mods in advance and work out the details. This would not only cut down on some of the lameness but it would also avoid DMs/Mods penalizing people involved in a "legit" RPed battle between PCs.

It doesn't happen.

Why doesn't it happen? Probably a couple reasons ... players worried the DM/mod is gonna spill the beans (which they shouldn't, as it's an IC/OOC violation, but I can see the worry there), that's one reason. The main one, however, is that I think these things happen spur of the moment ... without much thought over consequence or impact on whatever else is happening. Player A goes after Player B regardless of characters currently on line ... just spoiling for a fight because of something else that happened between the two, perhaps even between two totally different characters played by the two. Can't get a mod or DM in on that without basically admitting to being a lamer abusing OOC info between characters, like they have some kind of Borg hivemind or some such.

If involved groups actually made an ATTEMPT to try to coordinate this stuff between themselves as players and brought in a DM or mod to assist, it would go SO much more nicely. Some may look aghast at the idea, but think about it ...

Player A says to Player B -- "Hey, I'm thinking my group, Vendors of the Cheese, is really disliking the actions of your group, Purveyors of the Cream. You're horning in on our territory ... this might make for an interesting battle, no?"

Player B responds -- "Yeah, I think you have a point there ... let's see if we can't get our guys together sometime tomorrow and RP a little argument and then we can fight it out. Make sure to tell DM Philly what is what so he can oversee it and make sure nobody cheats."

There is absolutely nothing wrong with this sort of player to player talk OOC-wise. In fact it HELPS both sides remain connected and amicable without the hurt feelings and such ... win or lose. The thing is few players understand this difference between player and character ... they see a player name they've had trouble with and automagically assume the worst all the time. Yes it takes a little spontenaeity out of it ... but if such a framework is put into play at the start ... then more "random" events can happen later with less friction and more people seeing the root of it and why it happened. It also affords the players the chance to laugh about the stuff between themselves later ...

Player B to Player A -- "Heh, it was pretty funny when you disarmed me and I was still punching you for decent damage and killed you."
Player A -- "Yeah, no kidding ... heh ... too bad you didn't see the rogue behind you before it was too late. LOL"

That sort of banter doesn't happen hardly at all because what we have on the servers now isn't so much of a united community where some play villains and some play heroes and both sides accept some wins and losses in the name of RP ... what we have are a whole lot of self-serving egomaniacs who have to win, have to belittle, and take no time whatsoever to consider there IS another player on the other side of the freakin' screen. Hey, sometimes even when you have superior numbers and better equipment you have to "take one for the team" ... the team being the Dyso-community as a whole. If this sort of thing happened more often there wouldn't be the constant angst of feeling the need for revenge and what have you ... because then the players could be more comfortable in talking to each other, in spite of character-affiliations, and working out some things beforehand rather than just let it always be dictated by who was buffed more or who caught the other more off gaurd all the time.
Solo_Core
Dyso MOD|Forum Admin

Level: 24
XP
EXP: 47 / 68 EXP: 47 / 68 EXP: 47 / 68
 69%
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Vendors of the Cheese

Quote:

Purveyors of the Cream

Quote:

DM Philly

LOL icon_razz.gif

but you are totally right conrad icon_wink.gif
plus you don't always need a dm to create something fun. sometimes it looks like people depend on dm's to rp but thats just wrong. dm's a re a nice addition to rp because they can create cercumstances that normaly don't apear but its not like you cant have rp without a dm around. you just need two willing people. but maybe some people aren't so willing to rp.
View users profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
Conrad Hollows
Har-Rhun Project Leader

Level: 38
XP
EXP: 13 / 153 EXP: 13 / 153 EXP: 13 / 153
 8%
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I throw these ideas out there with the hopes of turning around a few hearts and minds ... but I can't say those hopes are large. I also understand that as soon as someone does try this method and is greeted with a "WTF!? You suck, I'm putting you and all your charz on my KOS list, go suck it, lamer!" the temptation for stupidity to beget stupidity is quite large.
zak_fel
Hero

XP
EXP: 8 / 56 EXP: 8 / 56 EXP: 8 / 56
 14%
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still stand by my belief that active DMs hold the key to a good and progressive ROLEPLAYING server. For the simple fact that, the DMs are able to create detailed and creative situations for the players

And by the way, a DM event isnt a 1 day, few spawned balors in the kraven lowlands thing.

There must be a begining to it, How were the balors able to open a portal? Was it an attempt by a powerful mage bent on taking over kravenwood?

Sadly, u dont see it at all.
richard goldthumb
Master

Level: 10
XP
EXP: 10 / 22 EXP: 10 / 22 EXP: 10 / 22
 45%
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zak
dms are not gods he they need to sleep once in a while or maybe do some things in there private lifes

i like the isea of capture the flag that sunds like real fun and now that red is away it will be a good replacemt for his tournaments

gosh i mis red icon_cry.gif icon_cry.gif icon_cry.gif icon_cry.gif icon_cry.gif icon_cry.gif icon_cry.gif icon_cry.gif
View users profile Send private message
Nei
Hero

XP
EXP: 40 / 56 EXP: 40 / 56 EXP: 40 / 56
 71%
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey I have this crazy role-playing idea that doesn't need to involve the DMs. How about we get some good objective characters together to play the roles of judges so that people can bring complaints to them, then we can role-play a trial. Itis really fun, I've done it a few times on Dyso, all with good peaceful results. Crazy idea eh? Apparently everybody finds this to be a terrible idea. Sry.. I think this belongs in the rants section I will move over there to finish.
View users profile Send private message AIM Address
Grok
Grandmaster

XP
 11%
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Conrad, you hit the nail on the head. Though not as well thought out as you, Muric and I have been discussing the same ideas, espicaly the dm helping to play moderator over a battle or warlike activity. The White Rose is taking steps to become more involved in RP and not to act in a warlike fashion.

We have been reading the posts and the great suggestions (and requests for more thought before action..and it needs to have a valid reason behind it)
It's great to see Dyso evolve into the RP server many of us want.

Thanks brownnoser.gif

Grok
Member of the White Rose guild
Grok
Grandmaster

XP
 11%
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Conrad, you hit the nail on the head. Though not as well thought out as you, Muric and I have been discussing the same ideas, espicaly the dm helping to play moderator over a battle or warlike activity. The White Rose is taking steps to become more involved in RP and not to act in a warlike fashion.

We have been reading the posts and the great suggestions (and requests for more thought before action..and it needs to have a valid reason behind it)
It's great to see Dyso evolve into the RP server many of us want.

Thanks brownnoser.gif

Grok
Member of the White Rose guild
ShadowCore
Great Deity

Level: 42
XP
EXP: 27 / 186 EXP: 27 / 186 EXP: 27 / 186
 14%
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conrad, you are absolutely right.

Nei: A lot of people think it is a good idea, but sadly, we can't get it started up. I try to do stuff like it every time we encounter something, but it is still just some loose encounters.

View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DysoForums Forum Index -> Suggestions - History All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: