DysoForums Forum Index DysoForums

GalleryGallery   Donate to DysotopiaDonate   Dysotopia.com homepageDyso.com
SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStats   RegisterRegister 
 Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Role Playing 101 - How to play Evil...

View previous topic :: View next topic :: Hide signatures  
Glith

Level: 51
XP
EXP: 189 / 280 EXP: 189 / 280 EXP: 189 / 280
 67%
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 7:47 pm    Post subject: Role Playing 101 - How to play Evil... Reply with quote

One of the hardest things to do is to truly role play an evil character.

Why? Because most of us have problems seeing things from that kind of standpoint.

I think that the biggest mistake made is the assumption that an Evil Character is going to run all over the place killing whomever he pleases.

That is *not* the way it should be done. Evil is soooo much more than that.

First, ask yourself why your character is evil. Really... ask yourself. Is it because of something in their childhood. Is it because it's the only way they feel they can get ahead. It is simply because they don't agree with the rules?

Come up with the reason why first. Then come up with what you want to do with it. Just be evil? Serve an evil lord or god? Take over the world? Cause general chaos?

Then you can come up with the particulars.

Understand this about being evil. They'll generally avoid killing - *not* because they feel guilty, but because killing draws a *LOT* of attention... the victim's family (or in Dyso, the victim himself) may seek revenge. The local law enforcement may get involved. And that can be inconvienant - unless it's part of a larger plan.

Same with theft - most truly evil folks avoid it unless it's part of the larger plan.

Treachery. Deception. Those are the tools of being evil. Let's look at some good evil characters from TV and Movies:

Saruman (Lord of the Rings) - Started good, got corrupted by power and turned evil. Never killed anyone himself, in fact, tried to keep a fair face and a kind voice to charm those around him. Dealt with Rohan through treachery, and - when put to it - didn't care about either how many soldiers of Gondor and Rohan got killed, just like he didn't care about how many of his orcs got killed. He only cared about himself, and took any opportunity to make himself more powerful.

Darth Vader (Star Wars) - Evil for most of the Original Trilogy. Would kill underlings as a punishment, and didn't really care at all about torturing others as the means to an end. He didn't kill needlessly, though - and did live by his own code of honor.

Emporer Cartagia (Babylon 5) - Evil emporer out for his own glory and to secure himself a godhood. Quite insane, yet not really capricious. Didn't run around killing everyone on Centauri Prime, but willing to sacrifice the entire population of the planet to ensure his ascension.

See the trend here? They cared, really, only for themselves. They used people - *any people* - as an way to get the job done. They didn't care whether they lived or died - as long as they got their way. And if folks stood in their way - well - then it just wasn't pretty.

Think about this stuff... and keep it in mind next time you play.

Remember - Evil is so much more than just running about killing folks for no reason. That's not evil. It's just stupid, and any truly evil person will have *nothing* to do with someone like that because of the attention that it'd draw.

Enjoy!

Mike
Zedium
Hero

Level: 22
XP
EXP: 6 / 59 EXP: 6 / 59 EXP: 6 / 59
 10%
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Role Playing 101 - How to play Evil... Reply with quote

Glith wrote:
Remember - Evil is so much more than just running about killing folks for no reason. That's not evil. It's just stupid, and any truly evil person will have *nothing* to do with someone like that because of the attention that it'd draw.
Mike

isn't that everything where chaotic evil si about, being an insane person?

one prob with evil though, you don't have any underlings to kill, unless you count summoneds, and you can't even kill them with style...
Glith

XP
EXP: 189 / 280 EXP: 189 / 280 EXP: 189 / 280
 67%
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even Chaotic Evil folks have their own code to live by. Chaotic simply means that you don't agree with the rules of the land... or rather... that you'll agree with the rules as needed, and disagree when you see fit.

For Chaotic Good that translates roughly to holding individual rights as paramount, and when individual rights come into conflict with the law, then often the law will lose.

As far as underlings go - I think that a level 15 character could easily organize his own staff of less experienced players... there are rewards of gold, power in the group, treasure, etc... that can be given out. But your point of helpless underlings (such as the orcs in LotR or the Stormtroopers in Star Wars) being missing in NWN is a good one.

Besides - this is really to help folks think about how they play their characters... icon_smile.gif

Mike
Glorin
The Badgermouthed

XP
EXP: 82 / 280 EXP: 82 / 280 EXP: 82 / 280
 29%
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think your forgetting something......

The Lost Guard of Glorin

all people of evil willing (or unwilling if u get my drift) will be forced to join this Army of Undead, Death, and destruction. They will be MY underlings and will act according to what i say.

(and since they are all evil theyll all be striving for power, which plays into the Chaotic Evil description, but im not chaotic evil, im neutral evil which says i kill when necessary, and if someone so much as speaks wrong about me in the army, or if i find out about hidden treachery, that person will be jailed, tortured, and res raped untill proven innocent. ;0
is that evil or what? heh)
[quote:a89551bc29="AliZee'"]that shits utterly devoid of any meaningless sense...i tottally disagree on tha basis that tha argument you have pressented is full of actual facts and shit, i think based on tha fact that i have no idea of what tha fuck you were talkin gabout i would have to wholoeheartedly proclaim that you are wrong.
Thank you,
AliZee'[/quote]
View users profile Send private message Send email MSN Messenger
Sensations
PostWed 09/25/02 9:36pm
Evil people need somethning to rule and controll.
If you kill everyone, you rule nothing!

Ugluk
PostWed 09/25/02 10:01pm
That is when the undead enter the scene.  Reply with quote

Ectovult
Elder

Level: 24
XP
EXP: 57 / 68 EXP: 57 / 68 EXP: 57 / 68
 83%
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sensations wrote:
Evil people need somethning to rule and controll.

Well, here's a good point...
The problem is (as i pointed on a previous post) there isnt anything to conquer...
I mean... an Evil army that wishes total power will never get it in Dysotopia... because all the cities will always be ruled by the same admins...
Evil City "X"'s army should be able to conquer City "Y" and so on, and therefore spread evil in the land... but, for what i understand, will never happen...

The only thing an evil army will be able to do is cause some chaos and havoc once in a while, and nothing more than that...

There should be solutions...
View users profile Send private message Send email
XPhoenixX
Master

Level: 9
XP
EXP: 7 / 20 EXP: 7 / 20 EXP: 7 / 20
 35%
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glorin that is pretty evil. Nicely developed character as well. I think you need to include the possibility to rise in the ranks in your army as well. That way more evil people who are actually rping will jump at the chance to gain power by killing stuff when told to.
View users profile Send private message
Glorin
The Badgermouthed

XP
 29%
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes thats included in the LOST GUARD OF GLORIN POST why dont u read it and apply if ur evil heh.

also.....

ecto, ur point is valid but this is not exactly an RTS, As an alternative to not actually conquering cities i will conquer armys and have my name be feared so that no one will actually ever want to mess or fight with me. i shall build the strongest army dysotopia has ever seen and its evil shall plague the fields, ponds, waters, and food of the masses. all shall bow to me. i may not be able to control their cities but i can control their state of mind through fear. All shall shit their pants when they hear my name. Basically ill make it so every army or guild is too scared to fight my army so i have complete military power, and since im evil i will take advantage of this power to cease any oppurtunity to strengthen my pwoer, using my military as a support. Of course i need to achieve the strongest army first but unlike alot of people i see becoming lords i have not only a trusted and someone i know IRL as a Second in Command but also have years of Clan War Strategies(in Half-life), RTS gaming, Real life military history and tactics, and Red HAshmeer (one of the most amazing guerilla strategists ive ever met). and i believe with firm discipline i can easily achieve this goal. power will be mine. bow to me
[quote:a89551bc29="AliZee'"]that shits utterly devoid of any meaningless sense...i tottally disagree on tha basis that tha argument you have pressented is full of actual facts and shit, i think based on tha fact that i have no idea of what tha fuck you were talkin gabout i would have to wholoeheartedly proclaim that you are wrong.
Thank you,
AliZee'[/quote]
Mr. Red Hashmeer
PostThu 09/26/02 1:20am
thanks for the imput glorin!

yea you heard him
SON!

Geshtal
Lead Project Manager

Level: 28
XP
EXP: 72 / 87 EXP: 72 / 87 EXP: 72 / 87
 82%
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing to conquer? I have seen two evil characters that have been played wonderfully thus far by players...there are more but these two I think most of you will know.

The first being Falkhor...evil thief forming a guild and forcing all thieves to join him otherwise outcasting them and cutting them off from thieving supplies. He is buttering up to the admins to gain what it is he wants...he has established a guild hall from this as well as the ability to operate his guild in the city of Eleriina. In being evil he does things that seemingly appear "good" to the city of Eleriina by offering protection and secured trade routes and such. Do you seriously see Falkhor off PKing people for no reason? He usually kills other people because they have crossed him or have interfered with his operations...not for fun.

The second being Red. He has scammed many people and gone behind the mayor's back just to better himself. He sold houses that he didn't own to unwary people, boats, you name it...he even had claimed to be a server admin OoC in order to force people to do what he wants. Now he has started his own bank and has convinced countless unsuspecting people to simply hand over their hard earned cash to him. If that's not evil then you tell me what is!!! How many of you people actually think you'll get your money back from this guy? icon_wink.gif

I know that Red may be known for the occasional PK but in general he has "conquered" the scamming industry and other things he has thought up by himself. Falkhor has conquered the thieves in Eleriina and is striving to conquer all thieves into submission and joining his powerful guild. There are things to conquer if you use your imaginations and play your role here. I'm not going to script everything for you...this world is designed to change with the times and with the flow of the characters in it!

If you find yourself bored you'll soon be able to take up a trade skill of some sort to keep you busy. You may also want to try organizing battles or other story based events...you don't need DMs in order to do that! Grab a group of friends and search for secret areas...cause they are out there folks! Organize an event such as the tournaments that are coming up! There are countless things that players can come up with to keep everyone busy!

Gesh
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address
Zedium
Hero

Level: 22
XP
EXP: 6 / 59 EXP: 6 / 59 EXP: 6 / 59
 10%
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes we rogues are the current masters of evil icon_twisted.gif MUHAHAHAHAH! YOU WILL ALL BELONG TO ME! *ahem* excuse me...
Glorin
PostThu 09/26/02 10:34am
has anyone found that planar assassin stone yet? hehehehehe  Reply with quote

Falkhor
DysoMOD|DM

Level: 30
XP
EXP: 83 / 99 EXP: 83 / 99 EXP: 83 / 99
 83%
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a repeat of something i mentioned elsewhere on the forum:

I would like to add that even an evil person is motivated by something and rarely that is to slaughter anyone nearby.
One could of course point to certain disgruntled postmen who go insane and blast every one of their collegues to bits with a shotgun but i would call that a mental disorder, a kink in someone's thinking process, not evil. True evil hides just underneath a veneer of civility. It is a monster patiently waiting for its prey who will stop at nothing to reach its goals. It is the deliberate and concious decision that your own goals are more important than those of others.
Take falkhor for example. He's lawfull evil.
He wont' just target someone though, he needs a reason. He is perfectly reasonable, even helpfull when he has the chance, knowing that allies and "friends" are usefull pawns to achieve his goals. When there is competition to his activities however he will take action and wil not be stopped by civilisation's morals. He feels justified in his actions to set up an ambush, even to take out witnesses who blunder into a trap not meant for them, just to cover his tracks (of course this example was purely theoretical). Falkhor is quite a bastard but he has his own system of morals and in a sense that makes him more evil than the average pk'er. Fanaticism is the root of evil, justifying that your actions serve a higher purpose and therefore the ends justify the means is a far greater evil than a frustrated pupil in a black coat shooting up his classmates.
Williem_Blakk
Mortal

Level: 3
XP
EXP: 7 / 9 EXP: 7 / 9 EXP: 7 / 9
 77%
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 5:14 pm    Post subject: RED is GOOD Reply with quote

Hey Now,

I must stand up and say one thing about Red and the other Con and Scam runners out there. At least they give you a story, a song and dance you might say. Red spent 15 minutes trying to con me out of 5K for a house. I gave to him after maybe our 3rd or 4th meeting, even while I knew it was a con.

I thought he spent some time and effort to sell me a lie, a brilliant story and even answered my questions. The whole time I was laughing about how far he'll go before he'll give up, as if he ever would. All Iím saying is Red spent time to interact with another Dysotopian and build on character development. Red simply waited for me to give him the coin and not steal it from me. This is how good role-playing is done.

Evolve or die
Sensations
Mortal

Level: 2
XP
EXP: 1 / 8 EXP: 1 / 8 EXP: 1 / 8
 12%
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tobacco Company is Ultimate Evil corporation. They will do anything to exterminate the human race 1 cigarette at a time for ultimate goal of few people. Tobacco company more evil that Hitler, Moussini, and Stalin.

That the ultimate evil. Killing people and hiding behind the law without physically killing them. The ultimate Scam.
Ugluk
PostThu 09/26/02 6:46pm
Beware of Moussini the evil magician.  Reply with quote

Falkhor
PostFri 09/27/02 6:39am
Moussini, he was evil, just as Hipler and Stallhim  Reply with quote

Glorin
PostFri 09/27/02 10:48am
dont forget batman, hes a rapist...  Reply with quote

Falkhor
DysoMOD|DM

Level: 30
XP
EXP: 83 / 99 EXP: 83 / 99 EXP: 83 / 99
 83%
PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2002 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea but batman had a bad childhood, he just needs a shrink. Having your parents die on you and then getting raised by your "loving" butler would turn anyone into a twisted person...
UnsightlyDeath
Master

Level: 9
XP
EXP: 13 / 20 EXP: 13 / 20 EXP: 13 / 20
 65%
PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2002 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe tobacco. Evil bastards icon_mad.gif Lots of people out there to base your char off of.....

What do you think jeffrey dommer (sp?) would be, chaotic evil?
Glorin
The Badgermouthed

XP
 29%
PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2002 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think batman is the best person to base an evil char on

as falkhor pointed out:

1. a Bad childhood where his parents were killed
2. raised by a butler who talks funny
3. ends up becoming rich somehow and then buys super hero gadgets at Kmart.
4. Exploits his powers as a superhero to get good with the police and grab semi hot women.
5. Kidnaps a little boy named robin and forces him to work for him. and then kidnaps a little girl and does the same.
6. sells action figures and crappy movies to make himself more rich.

see batman when u look at it is the evillest person to ever exist.
Thank you,
AliZee'[/quote]
Uin
PostFri 09/27/02 7:17pm
Both Batman and Batman Returns were good films. Please amend your statement.  Reply with quote

Glorin
PostFri 09/27/02 8:03pm
in an effort to make batman look evil i had to make the movies crappy, sorry.  Reply with quote

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DysoForums Forum Index -> Chatter - History All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: