DysoForums Forum Index DysoForums

GalleryGallery   Donate to DysotopiaDonate   Dysotopia.com homepageDyso.com
SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStats   RegisterRegister 
 Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

a few words of advice on player run "events"

View previous topic :: View next topic :: Hide signatures  
Conrad Hollows
Har-Rhun Project Leader

Level: 38
XP
EXP: 13 / 153 EXP: 13 / 153 EXP: 13 / 153
 8%
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 12:31 am    Post subject: a few words of advice on player run "events" Reply with quote

There seems to be a burning compulsion of some folks lately to RP out weddings and picnics and other things of that sort and this is good stuff to see happening. However ... a few words of advice ...

If you have it in a PVP area and you announce it widely, expect trouble ... I promise you someone will decide to rain on your parade for no other purpose than to do so. They'll get folks into your party to find your location and then use tells to bring in their "army," etc. and pretty soon your little thing has been ruined. So ... don't do it in PVP areas unless you think its pretty secure or have taken steps to make it secure.

I honestly think a lot of the time that people pick PVP locations for the express purpose of inviting an attack. They want to see who will attack them and then they want to be able to cry about it later ... play the drama queen card. That only goes so far when you've been playing on the server long enough to consider marrying characters and such ... you know where the PVP and nonPVP zones are. The "woe is me, this is terrible" bit rings rather empty ... you know the zones ... and if you didn't, shame on you.

Besides ... if there is a wide ranged announcement of a wedding or some other "goodie" event, "evil" forces are going to do what they can (and even non-evils who do this simply to be asses) to disrupt it. That's part of the whole evil bit ... on the flip side, however, some restraint needs to be shown ... if the evil-guys disrupt it once, fine, but going back to do it again and again ... that's not fine. Why is it not fine? Pretty simple answer ...

THIS IS SUPPOSED TO BE A GODDAMN RP SERVER AND WHEN A GROUP IS ACTUALLY TRYING TO RP SOMETHING THEY GET THE BENEFIT OF THE DOUBT.

At that point it's not about who is evil and who isn't or whatever ... what I saw today was an ill-fated wedding attempt and a group of people who decided they were going to disrupt it and disrupt it they did. So the wedding party moved inside and tried again ... and STILL some of the ne'er do wells insisted on being asses. I will give credit, one of the "evil" forces said more than once "I think once is enough, let's not push it. Gesh won't like it if people don't like his mod." RIGHT ANSWER! Yet, in spite of that wisdom, a few of them still insisted on bumping into the bride and groom during the wedding int he noPVP zone as well as waiting for the wedding party outside to cast some more Wail of the Banshee on them. One of those also happens to be a "good" character and it was interesting watching him wonder aloud about his "good" alignment and then go on to discuss "what kind of bs story can I come up with to explain this."

Since pretty much all involved all read the forums ... I'm not going to finger anyone by name, but you know who you are and I know who you are. I let this slide this time due to the reasons listed above ... the whole "kinda asking for it" angle. HOWEVER ... consider yourselves collectively warned. You give me any further reason to move in a disciplinary manner and my response will be character deletions, player name bans, or worse. There will be no further discussion from me on this and, as always, I don't negotiate. Got it? Good.
Marine436
Lamer

Level: 34
XP
EXP: 75 / 124 EXP: 75 / 124 EXP: 75 / 124
 60%
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had plans to attack the wedding as Rumanos, I also Had Plan's to Fail the attack on the wedding, and i had plans NOT to go back...

a Minior hicup was my plan, some one beat me to it with a big bomb.

However, as Nel, i did know the West was a PVP zone, and i did Expect a "small problem" i bit off more than i can chew

I agree though, DOnt come back as Evil, and try and Not win at such a Huge event.

time it Perfectly, have some one cast Darkness on the area first, and then cast ONE wail, and fall over that way no one know's it was you.

I did this with Rumano's and stealing and blamed a bunch of halfing's

that was fun and evil.
Malakalam
High Elder

Level: 30
XP
EXP: 45 / 99 EXP: 45 / 99 EXP: 45 / 99
 45%
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Yet, in spite of that wisdom, a few of them still insisted on bumping into the bride and groom during the wedding int he noPVP zone as well as waiting for the wedding party outside to cast some more Wail of the Banshee on them. One of those also happens to be a "good" character and it was interesting watching him wonder aloud about his "good" alignment and then go on to discuss "what kind of bs story can I come up with to explain this."

Throw them in jail and move thier alignment several points (10-20) towards chaotic evil. - Banning someone should be a last resort, not a first.

Seriously - the complete lack of any law enforcement at all is the reason all the evil people playing are chaotic evil destroyer types. How can I use the law to my advantage when there's no one enforcing it?
Conrad Hollows
Har-Rhun Project Leader

XP
 8%
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As it stands now I cannot adjust alignments and that really isn't much of a punishment anyhow unless you are dealing with a supposedly good character who is using good-only items. I've figured there was a setting/command in the dm-command console ... but scrolling thru that mess I have yet to see it ... and even if it was there, even this isn't something you drop someone to Chaotic Evil over. It was, at most, perhaps a 10 pt swing which wouldn't turn anyone patently evil unless they were already riding the edge.

Insofar as jail ... like I said before ... I suspected that partly the wedding wanted some sort of attack. What I suspected, which seems to have been true, is that the players had worked out an attack from someone else beforehand ... unfortunately the heavy hitters decided to kill not only the wedding party but the original planned attackers, too.

It's impossible to have a DM or moderator on all of the time ... players have to be willing to act with at least a small degree of restraint and responsibility and know when to say "OK, we got them, that's enough ... let's leave them alone now." To me I could sorta let the first attack go by the boards under the whole "well they were expecting/asking for trouble and they got it" bit ... but then going back to kill them again and disrupt it further ... that wasn't cool.
Marine436
PostMon 02/24/03 2:37pm
-Agreed.

once evil is slain at a big event, Pretend that it's to hard to come back.

Glorin
The Badgermouthed

Level: 51
XP
EXP: 82 / 280 EXP: 82 / 280 EXP: 82 / 280
 29%
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my wedding was the best, it was in the pit so when people attacked afterwards then it was allright cuz it was the pit.

and Rumanos is a really bad pickpocket.
[quote:a89551bc29="AliZee'"]that shits utterly devoid of any meaningless sense...i tottally disagree on tha basis that tha argument you have pressented is full of actual facts and shit, i think based on tha fact that i have no idea of what tha fuck you were talkin gabout i would have to wholoeheartedly proclaim that you are wrong.
Thank you,
AliZee'[/quote]
View users profile Send private message Send email MSN Messenger
Alisttair
Master

Level: 9
XP
EXP: 3 / 20 EXP: 3 / 20 EXP: 3 / 20
 15%
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something i noticed on another server(can't remember which), is the mod is programmed so that when someone PKs, his alignment shifts towards evil. This should be implemented on this mod so that good people who do something evil have their alignment automatically shifted towards evil. This would also help with all the good people going straight to killing a pickpocket. Itll make them think twice (e.g. a LG Paladin (yes ive seen some quick to kill Paladins) who instantly kills that Halfling he just noticed pick his pockets, well with this he won't cause itll make him lose his Paladin class due to change in alignment). This should be heavily considered.

Caster McFear - professional wrestler
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website MSN Messenger
Malakalam
High Elder

Level: 30
XP
EXP: 45 / 99 EXP: 45 / 99 EXP: 45 / 99
 45%
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only one problem, thanks to bioware's wonderful implementation of DND rules, Paladins do not lose ANYTHING when they become evil. They might even be able to continue using holy avenger weapons.. I'll have to check that.

*knows an evil paladin on dysotopia*
Uin
Hardass

Level: 33
XP
EXP: 60 / 117 EXP: 60 / 117 EXP: 60 / 117
 51%
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ACTUALLY, paladins don't lose anything because there is no path for a fallen paladin to take in NWN. In PnP you could be a Black Guard and do other things. In NWN you can't.
View users profile Send private message Send email AIM Address MSN Messenger
Alisttair
Master

Level: 9
XP
EXP: 3 / 20 EXP: 3 / 20 EXP: 3 / 20
 15%
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it should still be implemented for the sake of someone with the decency to not have his alignment changed if he doesnt want it emot-yum.gif

Caster McFear - professional wrestler
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website MSN Messenger
Conrad Hollows
Har-Rhun Project Leader

XP
 8%
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, in Dyso ... the Carsomyr sword requires both paladin class and lawful good to use ... so if they fall even to LN, they can't use that sword. Otherwise, tho, you are right ... NWN in general doesn't penalize a Paladin much for turning evil other than not being able to gain levels in Paladin. If already level 20 ... then no biggie.
Alisttair
PostTue 02/25/03 1:36am
Then its still good to stop those who aren't level 20 (although i've noticed most people on it are level 20 anyways).  Reply with quote

ShadowCore
Great Deity

Level: 42
XP
EXP: 27 / 186 EXP: 27 / 186 EXP: 27 / 186
 14%
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me put it like this, Gesh is already working on some anti-PKing thing, which will also implement the becoming evil part. He has gotten most of the loopholes out of it, but not all of them, since that would simply be impossible.

View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DysoForums Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: