DysoForums Forum Index DysoForums

GalleryGallery   Donate to DysotopiaDonate   Dysotopia.com homepageDyso.com
SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStats   RegisterRegister 
 Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Private Meetings with the Third Voice of the Triumvirate

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DysoForums Forum Index -> The Kraken Society (Private)
View previous topic :: View next topic :: Hide signatures  
ThirdOfTriumvirate
Mortal

Level: 2
XP
EXP: 4 / 8 EXP: 4 / 8 EXP: 4 / 8
 50%
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 6:46 pm    Post subject: Private Meetings with the Third Voice of the Triumvirate Reply with quote

After walking down a long hallway, you see a single door with a rusted latch. Opening the doorway you see a dimly lit room. You note a slight odor of incense and continue to glance around the room. It's a moderately sized square room filled with many books. If The Third has really read all of these books, then it truly must have amassed great knowledge of many things. The shelves are littered with everything from "Elminster's Recipies" to "Ancient Runes of the Sword Coast". Considering it impractical to bring one's entire library with them for the long journey to Dysotopia, this must only be a subset of the vast knowledge that it has at it's fingertips.

In the center of the room sitting in one of two chairs facing each other sits The Third. The two chairs are identical in all aspects. The Third is seated upright with arms resting on the ornate armrests of it's own chair. The Third motions for you to sit across from it.

Please sit. As I told the group, I make myself available to anyone within the Society who has questions or problems. I do this in the hopes that my knowledge and wisdom can be of use to you.

Sensing nervousness in the visitor, The Third begins the conversation with some of it's own background.

My name is obviously not "The Third". That is more of a title of respect. I have been honored to have it bestowed upon me, and I do NOT expect to be called anything else.....though I will now tell you my real name. My surname is " hEoghain". The name means "well born". In olden days it was commonly given to the sons of chieftains. My family history can be traced all the way back to Eoghan Mor, a son of Oilioll Olum, a famous king. Family clans were known as Eoghanachts, "descendants of Eoghan", and from among their chieftains the kings were, for many centuries, regularly chosen.

Although the two are sitting right across from each other, the poorly lit room allows The Third to continue to conceal most of the features of it's face. The Third shifts it's weight in the seat and, for the first time, both hands are exposed completely. The Third's skin is both soft and silky, the tips of the fingers appear wrinkled, as if they had just come out of water. There appears to be additional skin between the fingers which will form a webbing when the fingers are stretched out. The symbols branded into it's skin are now completely visible. The branded symbols "TDA" are visible on the right hand while the symbols "SDD" are now visile on the left hand.

Now tell me more about yourself and then we can get down to exactly how I may be of service to you.
Darro
Noob

Level: 1
XP
EXP: 6 / 9 EXP: 6 / 9 EXP: 6 / 9
 66%
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is good to meet with you, I thank you for taking the time to meet with me in this manner.

I am Darro Hilstrider, a simple ranger of no great abilites or reputation.

As I told Lady Tiarella, I had misgivings in joining a group again after the last experience. Though the outcome of that was not the only reason for my hesitation. I was worried that I would not be able to function within the constraints of an organizied guild, that still holds true, after the group meeting.

You see it is not in my nature to submit to those in authority, therefore ther may be some friction. I am also concerned about the focus on order and law, rather than aiding those in need. For myself, I am very suspicisous of law, finding that laws are often made to serve the and their friends, rather than protect those that need it. i am more concerned with aiding those in need, when the need is there, not wait for an often remote agent of the law to intervene.

So this leave us with a question, how does a simple ranger who has a problem with authority and a suspision of the law and order fit into a organization such as yours?

Do you have an answer?
I do not think I do. So I am content to wait and watch.

Darro Hilstrider
View users profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
ThirdOfTriumvirate
Mortal

XP
 50%
PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Third slowly raises it's right hand and motions to the door. With a gentle swoosh it swings shut and is latched. Looking closely it must have been some form of magic, as no tethers are visible.

I prefer privacy for individual meetings.

After a staggering amount of silence, the Third finally speaks up.

It is good to meet you Darro. I have heard of you from lady Tiarella, so you are not correct in assuming you have no great reputation. She has mentioned you on numerous occassions as being a possible fit for our Society. I see you have doubts of this.

You strike me as very confident in your words and abilities, yet you seem to prefer to operate as an individual entity in our world. You should not be embarrassed about this, though I do not know if you are. Taking a lonely path is the most difficult thing of all in this land. One could argue that you are a person of stronger conviction, ability, and strength due to your path in life.

You mention law. Law is interesting is it not? When made by respected individuals laws can be glorious. When made by politicians with hidden agendas, they can be downright evil. I understand your suspicions with regard to law. I think it is best to say that our Society will use law to achieve our own outcome. Think of it as a tool. Not all tools are right for all jobs.

You are suspicious of authority, including the authority within this group. Good. Perhaps you think I am secretly some member of another guild or another Dysotopian person who is using my cloak to hide my intentions. That would be incorrect.

With that, the Third slowly removes it's cloak. As the hood is lowered, pale elven features begin to emerge. It's deep green eyes stare at Darro, unblinking. For the first time, the Third's sex is obvious. With one quick graceful motion, the robe is taken off and hung on the back of the chair. It's age is not obvious, but it is easy to see that The Third is over 150-200 years old. The features of this particular elf have never before been seen on the Dysotopian landscape. Still staring at Darro, The Third continues:

This is me. I do not drop my cloak for just anyone. As a matter of fact, I do so for you with only one request. I wish you to speak nothing about my appearance, my face, or this...

The Third lifts it's pastel blue shirt to reveal another branded symbol. This one is a very large ancient symbol with lettering that is not easily understood.

Only the elders and the other Voices know what these brandings mean and why I have them. I will tell you that the wonderful artwork you have seen on my large branding was done with an incredible collection of artists branding irons. I would estimate that it took upwards of 2 years to complete. Why do I tell you this? I am hoping to show you that I trust you to keep my personal information secret. I am also hoping that, with time, you will grow to trust us in the higher echelon of the Society.

I would like to request that you stay on the fringes of our organization right now Darro. Do NOT commit yourself. We do not demand it from you, since your concerns have been voiced. If, after time, you agree with our operation then I will be the first to welcome you. If not, I will be the first to wish you well on your journeys. The life of an adventurer is a tough one Darro. Perhaps the friendship of the Society will be a tool for you to use as well.

Just as quickly and gracefully as it was removed, it's cloak is placed back on and the hood raised.

Do you wish to ponder my comments, or do you have further questions Darro?

The Third once again sits completely motionless with it's arms resting on the arms of it's chair. A book on the Third's reading table quickly closes. Dust kicks up with the sudden closing. The identification on the book's spine identifies it as "Origins and Meanings of Ancient Symbols"
Darro
Noob

Level: 1
XP
EXP: 6 / 9 EXP: 6 / 9 EXP: 6 / 9
 66%
PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2003 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sits stunned for a moment, then stands and bows as a sign of respect for the third's trust

You honor me with such trust. I thank you, and can only promise that no one will have any word of what has been revealed here from me.

The Lady Tia also honors me with her friendship and good opion, I only hope that she has not overestimated me. Too many times my meager skills have failed me.

I also thank you for the opportunity to take the time to make an unhurried decision, that in itself goes far in quieting some of my doubts about the organization.
I see the wisdom in this for your organization as well, given my self-admitted problems with authority you do not know if I am right for you as well.

Still all I can promise is to wait and watch. It may be that I will never feel comfortable with the group in any manner except on the fringes. For if I join, I cannot see myself accepting any leadership blindly, or following orders without question. I will always ask myself if the ends justify the means. Therefore you may find that there is no place for one such as I in your organization, I will also accept that outcome if it comes.

My question now is, is this exceptable to your organization?

Darro Hilstrider
View users profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
ThirdOfTriumvirate
Mortal

XP
 50%
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Third sits quietly for what seems like weeks and then finally answers the question

Yes, my friend. That is acceptable.

With that, the Third motions with it's arm and the latch on the door lifts out of the way. The door swings open slowly and steadily.

I wish you to excuse me now, as it is time for me to meditate. I must do more soul searching for I'm sure another will be sitting in that very seat soon asking me more deep questions. I wish to be prepared.

The Third then returns to silence. Without knowing, the figure sitting in the chair could easily be a statue. After a short time, the motionless figure begins to hum. It's a most pleasant sounding hum, yet it seems that it was not meant for others to hear.....it seems almost as if it is a private conversation between the figure and it's god.
snewo
Master

Level: 14
XP
EXP: 8 / 33 EXP: 8 / 33 EXP: 8 / 33
 24%
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Snewo wanders down the hallway passing Darro and enters The Third's room. Without noticing that The Third was meditating Snewo makes entirely too much noise when he closes and latches the door himself. As he turns he notices The Third deep in thought and stops*

Uh....I'm sorry am I interrupting something?

*Not hearing a reply Snewo stupidly assumes that means he is welcome. He lowers himself into the seat across from The Third*

I would have been here earlier, but I needed to return to my home town in order to clear up some family issues. Ever since our meeting however, I wanted to come in and speak to you. I am going to be a member of your organization. I have sworn loyalty to Tiarella and she has always been there to help me in my travels. She has promised me things, but I wished to speak to you about them as well.

All of my life I have had one goal. Many people wish for fame from their adventures. Some wish to provide for their families. Others wish to gain power. I, on the other hand, have always yearned for something different. I wish to adventure while I can, but after I grow older and I am unable to keep up the rigors of the adventuring lifestyle, I wish to own a tavern. The tavern is how I plan to keep myself young. I wish to sit back, pour some ales, and listen to young adventurers tell great tales from their adventures. I can think of no better way to grow older. I already know that I will miss the adventuring lifestyle, but this will help keep me in touch with the lifestyle even though I will no longer be young enough to participate.

Living and working in an establishment that serves ale isn't so bad either.

*grins*

*He looks up after babbling for 5 minutes and notices The Third still sitting there quietly. As as his nature, he fills the silence with more talk.*

I guess what I'm trying to ask, in a round about way, is whether you can promise to provide me with my tavern? I have had others promise it to me and then not come through. "The Dusty Blade" is what I will call it. I plan to be a permanent fixture there to help others, listen to stories, and offer items for trade. I'm sure I'll sit with the customers and have an ale or five as well.

*Snewo stares at The Third for a while and once again breaks the silence*

Uh.....I've been monopolizing the conversation so far, so maybe I should just sit here and let you answer.

*Snewo stares at The Third*

What do you think?

*Snewo stares and awaits a reply*
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DysoForums Forum Index -> The Kraken Society (Private) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: