DysoForums Forum Index DysoForums

GalleryGallery   Donate to DysotopiaDonate   Dysotopia.com homepageDyso.com
SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStats   RegisterRegister 
 Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Bioware, magic, and the ranged touch attack (or lack of it)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DysoForums Forum Index -> Suggestions - History
View previous topic :: View next topic :: Hide signatures  
Selenia_Genoell
Grandmaster

Level: 14
XP
EXP: 26 / 33 EXP: 26 / 33 EXP: 26 / 33
 78%
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 1:40 pm    Post subject: Bioware, magic, and the ranged touch attack (or lack of it) Reply with quote

Considering how Time Stop was altered server side would it be possable to re-instate the spells that are supposed to require a ranged touch attack but currently do not?

3E Magic System: Many spells require an attack roll to hit.

Bioware's KISSFNP system: All of those spells are auto hit.

Ther coding is really quite simple since Bioware included a function to handel the attack. Sort of strange they didn't use it.

Anyway, I have some fo the spells altered on ym system already and they work fine. Would the Devs be intrested in a copy of the spell scripts for the module?
View users profile Send private message
Geshtal
Lead Project Manager

Level: 28
XP
EXP: 72 / 87 EXP: 72 / 87 EXP: 72 / 87
 82%
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, send the code in plain text to my e-mail address and I'll try to take a look at them when I get some time!

geshtal@dubisoft.com
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address
Selenia_Genoell
Grandmaster

XP
 78%
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the RTA correction requires changing a dozen or more spells I'll send you a coupld examples in plain text and a link to download the rest from my webspace.

For anyone reading this that doesn't know what a touch or ranged touch attack is, it is as follows:

Quote:
Touch Attack

Touch attacks come in two types: melee touch attacks and ranged touch attacks. A combatant can score critical hits with either type of attack. A combatant's opponent's AC against a touch attack does not include any armor bonus, shield bonus, or natural armor bonus. The target's size modifier, Dexterity modifier, and deflection bonus (if any) all apply normally.
Marine436
PostMon 02/03/03 5:13pm
you really want thoese changed dont you dan emot-yum.gif  Reply with quote

Selenia_Genoell
Grandmaster

XP
 78%
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The magic system was originally designed and balanced with this and a number of other things in mind.

Bioware chose, fro whatever reason, to leave out those elements from the game. It's resulted in more then a few players considering most arcane casters to be uber characters.

Sadly, to a point they are correct. Excluding those balancing factors altered the overall balance of the magic system in favor of the casters.

The other major element Bioware left out of the game engine are the material componets. Now most of them are trival but a few are really quite costly.

Under the current engine those spells are free. A prime example of this is the raise dead spell. In NWN the spell is free and costs nothing to use. However, it normally requires a diamond of at least 500 gp value to cast the spell.

Material componets are a little more involved to add then fixing the RTA but are still rather simple and I've changed a few on my system here. I even have the spell check to see if an item cast the spell so that it won't charge the user for it (which is the real prupose of most wands).
Malakalam
High Elder

Level: 30
XP
EXP: 45 / 99 EXP: 45 / 99 EXP: 45 / 99
 45%
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

resulted in more then a few players considering most arcane casters to be uber characters

I thought arcane casters were supposed to be uber characters.. seeing as they are HORRIBLE at low levels. Granted, in a game where no one ever really dies, and you start at level 5, this isn't really a problem, but you have to realize thats the way it was balanced.

In my opinon, Bioware botched the balance so much that they just decided to create a new one, and anyone who tries to fix it will just screw that one up as well thanks to the limits of NWN. (look at all the mage spells that are missing)

Check out all the things the cleric lost/gained in bioware's version of 3e rules..
zak_fel
Hero

Level: 21
XP
EXP: 8 / 56 EXP: 8 / 56 EXP: 8 / 56
 14%
PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arcane casters are weak throughout!
Theres no way a mage can defeat a real fighter one on one icon_wink.gif
Novia
PostTue 02/04/03 3:54am
hey selenia could you send me a copy of the code as well?
My email's kanonball88@hotmail.com

Drudley
PostTue 02/04/03 6:33am
While your at it with magic, make time stop last 1d4 +1 rounds as its supposed to  Reply with quote

Geshtal
PostTue 02/04/03 3:35pm
That'd be an easy fix drud icon_smile.gif  Reply with quote

Little Teapot
Deity

Level: 39
XP
EXP: 31 / 160 EXP: 31 / 160 EXP: 31 / 160
 19%
PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how about you make meteor storm a targeted spell that does 24d6 fire/bludgeon damage, no save, just like dnd, but if it's not targeted, make it do something like 16d6 ish to an area? just like REAL D&D!!!!
†††het ziet er toch wel een beetje naar uit dat we nederlands praten
Matthijs says:
†††mischien moet ik dan maar eens vaker nederlands gaan praten
Matthijs says:
†††kan je me ook meteen niet op al mijn spellinsfouten wijzen
There you have it! indisputable proof Solo's a fascist!!!
View users profile Send private message Send email AIM Address MSN Messenger
African Ape
PostThu 02/06/03 2:02am
Didn't TS use to be 1d4 +1 rounds?  Reply with quote

Selenia_Genoell
Grandmaster

XP
 78%
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 2:11 pm    Post subject: Because your description isn't quite how it works Reply with quote

Meteor Swarm

Evocation [Fire]
Level: Sor/Wiz 9
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Long (400 ft. + 40 ft./level)
Area: Pattern of fireball-like spreads (see text)
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None or Reflex half (see text)
Spell Resistance: Yes

Meteor swarm is a very powerful and spectacular spell that is similar to fireball in many aspects. When the character casts it, either four large spheres (2-foot-diameter) or eight small spheres (1-foot-diameter) spring from the character's outstretched hand and streak in a straight line to the spot the character selects. The meteor spheres leave a fiery trail of sparks.

Any creature in the straight-line path of these spheres is struck by each one and takes 24d6 points of fire damage (no save).

If the spheres reach their destination, each bursts like a fireball in a spread.

Each large sphere deals 6d6 points of fire damage. The four spheres explode with their points of origin forming a diamond or box pattern around the spellís central point of origin, which the character designates upon casting. Each large sphere has a 15-foot-radius spread, and each blast is 20 feet apart along the sides of the pattern, creating overlapping areas of the spellís effect and exposing the center to all four blasts.

The smaller spheres each have a 7 1/2-foot-radius spread, and each deals 3d6 points of fire damage. They explode with their points of origin forming a pattern around the spellís central point of origin (which the character designated upon casting) of a box within a diamond or vice versa, with each of the outer sides measuring 20 feet long. The center has four areas of overlapping effect, and numerous peripheral areas have two or three overlapping areas of the spellís effect.

Creatures caught in a blast can attempt Reflex saves for half damage. Creatures struck by multiple blasts save against each blast separately.
Selenia_Genoell
Grandmaster

XP
 78%
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a little update.

I haven't abandoned this project. I just got up to "s" before the .28 patch and now I have to go look and see what spells they changed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DysoForums Forum Index -> Suggestions - History All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: