DysoForums Forum Index DysoForums

GalleryGallery   Donate to DysotopiaDonate   Dysotopia.com homepageDyso.com
SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStats   RegisterRegister 
 Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Kittrell's PC Protection vrs Theft

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DysoForums Forum Index -> Suggestions - History
View previous topic :: View next topic :: Hide signatures  

Good Idea or Bad?
Good
50%
 50%  [ 5 ]
Bad
30%
 30%  [ 3 ]
I don't care cause thieves dont PP me
20%
 20%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 10

Jase
Elder

Level: 27
XP
EXP: 34 / 83 EXP: 34 / 83 EXP: 34 / 83
 40%
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 12:31 am    Post subject: Kittrell's PC Protection vrs Theft Reply with quote

Read this

PC Prot. vrs Theft: Drop Items

I think this script would make it MUCH more interesting for rogues and more fair to other players. Also it may stop Rogues from pp a person like 50 times in a row. Basicaly it is added to the ondeath script of the module and it makes it so all items that the PC stole will drop to the ground.
Cherrn
PostMon 02/17/03 12:58am
I like this one. Nothing but fairness in it. It will give those stolen from a chance of getting the stolen items back.  Reply with quote

Azaziel Seirim
Adept

Level: 6
XP
EXP: 1 / 14 EXP: 1 / 14 EXP: 1 / 14
 7%
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good to me assuming that items are ONLY marked stolen if the mark actually DETECTS the pp (ie not just gets a "you lost item xxx" and starts hammering whoever happens to be nearby). If you dont detect the thief, the item should be theirs. Oh, and the script needs a timer - if the thief holds the equipment for long enough, ownership should transfer to them.

We shall see what the new and improved Dysotopia brings I guess - I am sure the coding gods have already considered all of this stuff anyway. icon_mrgreen.gif
View users profile Send private message
Nei
Hero

Level: 21
XP
EXP: 40 / 56 EXP: 40 / 56 EXP: 40 / 56
 71%
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only see one glaring negative, rogue hunting. People are going to meta-game this, realizing that rogues drop whatever they've stolen in the past hour or so, they are just going to go around killing rogues hoping for loot to drop. I'm not saying that everybody will do this, just those select few powergamers who do their best to ruin the fun for everyone else. Actually no, I see another problem, that'd be with thieves just logging off when they steal something very valuable until the 'waiting period' is over. I do really like the idea, I think it'd reduce the sporatic disarms and such that are so prevelent right now.
View users profile Send private message AIM Address
Little Teapot
PostMon 02/17/03 4:05am
i swear Gesh has said he's already working on this somewhere in the suggestions thing...  Reply with quote

Grim's Revenge
Mortal

Level: 3
XP
EXP: 4 / 9 EXP: 4 / 9 EXP: 4 / 9
 44%
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terrible terrible idea. Unless there was some way to make everyone drop items, then this is really unfair. So what if rogues PP, thats one of the perks of bing a rogue. Remember there are alot of trade-offs as well. I mean, a thief is obvioulsy going to lose in a fight with just about anyone, save a wizard or a sorcerer, but even they have a good chance of killing a rogue with the great spells that they get. Here's an idea, Stop worrying about thieves, cause they're out there, they have drawbacks just as much as anyone. Plus, its all part of the game, if you lose something, its really too bad. Go buy another one, such is life. Not everything we have is here to stay. I agree some people abuse the PP skill, but most now adays don't, and anyways, we have mods and DMs to take care of abusive players. The best solution in my opinion would be to ban those who do abuse the system, and ban them for good.
"I cannot do anything to enforce role playing...this is something that players themselves have to do on their own...and it usually will spread because of peer pressure. If other people see you role playing, they will feel more comfortable playing their character as well." ~ Geshtal. Profound words from a great man, lets everyone try this a little.
ShadowCore
Great Deity

Level: 42
XP
EXP: 27 / 186 EXP: 27 / 186 EXP: 27 / 186
 14%
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, it's a good idea, and I am quite sure that Gesh is working on some kind of better version of that icon_biggrin.gif

View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Zedium
Hero

Level: 22
XP
EXP: 6 / 59 EXP: 6 / 59 EXP: 6 / 59
 10%
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BAD idea, like they said, rogue hunting will ocure, seeing every rogue at least has something stolen on him. And not everything was stolen from good people, or for evil reasons. And even more of a prob, what if you retrieved your item from a rogue and get killed? The item will still count as stolen.
M-K
Elder

Level: 24
XP
EXP: 57 / 68 EXP: 57 / 68 EXP: 57 / 68
 83%
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

either all or nothing ..Simply on death you that is another player have axcess to the dead players inventory and i mean everything.And can happily loot to your hearts content...why not I mean its not very real that you can take yer items with you on death.
if you dont like that idea in its entirety I cant see how you can support the above which simply singles out one class because some other players dont like em.

Thats it as far as i can see all or nothing totally lootable corpses why not?
Unity is strength....and with that system youd have to party co operate or find yourself naked being pounded by ogres.
"It is almost universally felt that when we call a country democratic we are praising it; consequently, the defenders of every kind of regime claim that it is a democracy, and fear that they might have to stop using the word if it were tied down to any one meaning."

-George Orwell

"Orwell was right : Pacifists are the objective allies of tyrants."

As said by Pompey the Great
Do not talk to us of Laws.we have swords
Nei
Hero

Level: 21
XP
EXP: 40 / 56 EXP: 40 / 56 EXP: 40 / 56
 71%
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm up inthe air on that one, yeah, it's most realistic and it'd make people worry a little more about death which is a good thing, because right now people don't give a rats @$$ about dying. However I can see definite drawbacks here too. Here I'm thinking a guild called 'Lynch mob' that runs around killing anybody and everybody and keeps growing on offers of loot to new comers. Now again it's not going to be the RPers that do this, but it'll happen. Dyso is good because the players are quite free, I like that, but with freedom comes responsibility and some people just cannot handle that. Sorry for shooting down ideas without offering any solutions. This is a hard question and there probably is no perfect solution. I think perhaps the answer if possible lays somewhere inbetween M-K's and Jase's ideas would be best. But that's just my humble opinion.
View users profile Send private message AIM Address
Jase
Elder

Level: 27
XP
EXP: 34 / 83 EXP: 34 / 83 EXP: 34 / 83
 40%
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No it doesnt make their WHOLE invintory drop! It makes the STOLEN ITEMS drop! As long as they get things legally it doesnt drop. grrrrr I wasn't soloing them out
Griff Inn
Ice Lolly

Level: 23
XP
EXP: 46 / 65 EXP: 46 / 65 EXP: 46 / 65
 70%
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Needless to say if this gets implemented I decide to get un-implemented. It just won't work. Stop whining about rogues. It's a totally unfair script, as you would encourage players to go out of their way to kill rogues in order to get their stolen items. If rogues are abusing pp report it to a mod, there are enough of them around (or are there?). This had been brought up before, and i made a far better explanation as to why it sucks. Don't make the decent rogues suffer because of the bad ones.

Griff
Jon316

Level: 51
XP
EXP: 189 / 280 EXP: 189 / 280 EXP: 189 / 280
 67%
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if rogues followed the ooc rules about pping( IC ones dont matter) everyone would be happy..... get a good item, stop, leave them alone and run away if they start trying to kill you, detected or not... and if they do, give them their stuff back like a normal person would, its only fair, besides, trying to escape is half the fun anyways
ShadowCore
Great Deity

Level: 42
XP
EXP: 27 / 186 EXP: 27 / 186 EXP: 27 / 186
 14%
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gesh? Can I post something here, I shouldn't?? PLEASE GESH!!!!
Ah well, I'll say something that says as little as possible, this is all useless, Gesh has it all figured out properly. PROPERLY!!

View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nefiorim
Elder

Level: 26
XP
EXP: 37 / 78 EXP: 37 / 78 EXP: 37 / 78
 47%
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In other words there's already something like this in the test server? (Wouldn't know, I'm not in there icon_wink.gif)
Well this is all fine, the intention is okay, but disarming still isn't stealing, so disarmed weapons that you pick up won't be dropped. So if something like this will be implemented it should be done 100% accurate, not a half/half bugged solution.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DysoForums Forum Index -> Suggestions - History All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: