DysoForums Forum Index DysoForums

GalleryGallery   Donate to DysotopiaDonate   Dysotopia.com homepageDyso.com
SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStats   RegisterRegister 
 Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Death in Rebirth (this sounds funny...hehe)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked you cannot post, reply to or edit topics   This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DysoForums Forum Index -> Dysotopia: The Rebirth
View previous topic :: View next topic :: Show signatures  
Ectovult
Elder

Level: 24
XP
EXP: 57 / 68 EXP: 57 / 68 EXP: 57 / 68
 83%
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 11:40 am    Post subject: Death in Rebirth (this sounds funny...hehe) Reply with quote

Just one question...
Is the death system remain untouched in Rebirth and in 3.xa?
I know that you are abolishing the afterlife in Rebirth... but will the penalties of death remain the same?

I think this is one of the most important issues that we have...
Giving some meaning to deaths would solve a LOT of our current problems, since those people who wander there killing everyone on sight and such would start to actually fear for their own lives, and would think twice before doing something that could get THEM killed...

I know this is an old issue, and I know you (the devs) have already thought of a new system for this... but my point is... can we get that system a bit sooner? like.. in the early stages of Rebirth or something?
View users profile Send private message Send email
Kindo
Great Deity

Level: 48
XP
EXP: 6 / 245 EXP: 6 / 245 EXP: 6 / 245
 2%
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last I heard, Gesh had a contingency plan all put together. He *will* create a death system worth to die for, so to speak. So don't worry, he's got it all in check. But sure, it could be fun to hear him explain it again. If it's not explained somewhere in the forums already, that is.
View users profile Send private message Send email AIM Address MSN Messenger
Geshtal
Lead Project Manager

Level: 28
XP
EXP: 72 / 87 EXP: 72 / 87 EXP: 72 / 87
 82%
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Death will be similar to the system that is on the 3.Xa test server...with a long penalty that can get up to 5 minutes if you're high enough level. There will no long be a heaven or hell or limbo. You will instead be resurrected in a temple...

Temples will be readily available throughout Rebirth and depending on who is worshipped at any given temple and the reputation of your character, you will be resurrected there and will have to pay a fee for the services. You will automatically lose XP each time you die and if you're level 20 you CAN drop back to level 19 on death. If your friends resurrect you there is no loss of gold at all.

For those of you that are unfamiliar with the new death system...when you die, your body basically lays on the battlefield for up to 5 real time minutes (one game hour) before you're given the option to respawn. You still maintain control of your character with the ability to speak to comerades as well as move the camera around and view the action.

When one organization breaches the walls of another organization's fortress a state of war is declared between the two guilds. There is no penalty for PKing once your at war with another guild. These kills are still tracked, however. When your guild is at war your death penalty is permenant death until one of two conditions is true...

1. Your organization manages to take over the fortress from the other organization. Thus marking you as the winner of the war.
2. All members of your organization are dead inside the fortress you have attempted to take over. Thus marking you as the loser.

Once the war is over, you are allwed to respawn as normal. Your organization may now not declare a war on this particular fortress for 20 real time hours. This is to prevent orgs from hammering fortresses to take them over. The losing side MAY however declare a war on the fortress they lost immediately after losing it. If they succeed the battles will continue until one side has won and they get to keep control of this for 24 hours. This will allow them time to fortify the doors and hire any guards they want protecting the fortress.

So as you can see, death will have it's punishments and while they may seem harsh at first...you have to remember that your character SHOULD fear for their life!!! They should go into every battle thinking "I don't want to die" and they should RUN AWAY if they see death imminent! Dying will take it's toll on your characters and it's not something you're going to want to do a lot of. Always, and I mean ALWAYS have a scroll of raise dead around or a good cleric or two. You're going to need them!
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address
Marine436
Lamer

Level: 34
XP
EXP: 75 / 124 EXP: 75 / 124 EXP: 75 / 124
 60%
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One problem with this god like system (god like meaning it kicks ass)

What about PP durring the Battle....PP the dead i mean....

5 min....some one could loot you pretty good
View users profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
Ectovult
Elder

Level: 24
XP
EXP: 57 / 68 EXP: 57 / 68 EXP: 57 / 68
 83%
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea... that's what I wanted to hear icon_smile.gif

Death really needs some meaning if we want to get anywhere...
I suggest that the amount of gold lost is also significant... since the 5 minutes waiting time may not be as bad as that for some people...

I like it icon_biggrin.gif

looking foward to see it in action...
Drudley
PostThu 02/20/03 3:08pm
The only down side with that is that only rogues or people with pp skills can loot  Reply with quote

Kindo
Great Deity

XP
 2%
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, either Gesh decides to allow that, or we can simply put some rules on that. Like restrictions on how much you can steal from the dead. It can be scripted probably, or just some server rule thing. But it is true that they *should* be able to strip the dead naked. Realistic. But EXTREMELY annoying. So I would not like it at all. And IF it will be that way, anyway...EVERYBODY should be able to. I mean, you do not need to be skilled in Picking pockets if you are simply going to grab some loot from off a dead guy.
Geshtal
Lead Project Manager

XP
 82%
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PPing dead players will NOT be allowed. Anyone doing it will be banned for a 24 hour period automatically by the system. icon_wink.gif

We -may- make an exception to this during wars...but that hasn't been decided yet. I think it may be interesting for the winner of a guild war to be able to loot the bodies of those that tried to attack them...
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address
Glorin
PostThu 02/20/03 4:20pm
yes dying sucks now, trust me

or Ask Muric, he is the major tester for the death system ;0

Muric
Grandmaster

Level: 15
XP
EXP: 3 / 35 EXP: 3 / 35 EXP: 3 / 35
 8%
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glorin wrote:
or Ask Muric, he is the major tester for the death system ;0

LOL

True enough. I have managed to die in quite a variety of ways on the test server. Glorin is correct, the changes to death make it very unpleasant and to be greatly avoided. The 5 minute wait period feels like forever, and there are xp repercussions as well, as Gesh has mentioned. You will see. Suffice it to say, it changes your playing style and forces you to more carefully evaluate risk.
Nefiorim
Elder

Level: 26
XP
EXP: 37 / 78 EXP: 37 / 78 EXP: 37 / 78
 47%
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So.. Someone kills a player while a rogue was just looting him.. Poof, player dead, rogue is too late in finding it out.. Rogue banned..
Will there be no grace period?
View users profile Send private message
Glorin
PostThu 02/20/03 6:41pm
tip: drink an invis potion when ur in eastern plains  Reply with quote

Geshtal
Lead Project Manager

XP
 82%
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nefiorim wrote:
So.. Someone kills a player while a rogue was just looting him.. Poof, player dead, rogue is too late in finding it out.. Rogue banned..
Will there be no grace period?

No, you basically have a count of offenses...this count is lowered once every 24 hours. People that surpass the abuse level will be banned. That is how the system works. So if you PK more than 10 people for no reason (meaning not an assassination or war) in a certain time period it'll be taken as abuse and you'll be increased in your warning level. You'll suffer an additional penalty to XP gains and may have extra taxes imposed on your character while under a warning level. The higher the level, the more the punishment. If you exceed the max warning level you'll be banned for a 24 hour period of time. If abuse continues you'll be banned longer and may eventually have your character deleted from the server and your account locked permemantly.

Don't test me. I'm not in the mood after Dyso X.Xa icon_mrgreen.gif
ShadowCore
Great Deity

Level: 42
XP
EXP: 27 / 186 EXP: 27 / 186 EXP: 27 / 186
 14%
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant Gesh, I really love the way stuff like that is going to be handled, it'll really improve a lot of stuff with powerlamers in Dyso. Not to mention the XP system. And the new guild wars system. And everything. Man this is going to be great!!!!!
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Marine436
PostThu 02/20/03 7:42pm
Assination, and wars are Not the only reason to PK

Their the main reason's but Not the only Reason.

Geshtal
Lead Project Manager

XP
 82%
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marine436 wrote:
Assination, and wars are Not the only reason to PK

Their the main reason's but Not the only Reason.

Well, better list them now before we finalize things...what reasons do you have to kill someone...more than 10 times in a 24hr period...?
ShadowCore
Great Deity

Level: 42
XP
EXP: 27 / 186 EXP: 27 / 186 EXP: 27 / 186
 14%
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

None, unless he attacks you, but you already had something against that, right? In any case, if you get insulted, and you're good, you should still not immediately attack the guy, and besides, you won't kill 10 times in 24h.
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Marine436
Lamer

Level: 34
XP
EXP: 75 / 124 EXP: 75 / 124 EXP: 75 / 124
 60%
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok here we go.

a list of why Nel has killed.

To warn Some one that your Not weaker and Nor is your Family.
TO protect Friend's Being Attacked.
To make one Suffer (chaotic Evil. is fun if RPED well)
To protect One's Property. (loot)

Killing Theives ?!

PVP Spars.

other's i cant think of right now for im at school, suppose to be working....

you do know Dyso is Effecting my grades icon_mrgreen.gif
View users profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
Maelstrom696969
Lamer

Level: 35
XP
EXP: 101 / 130 EXP: 101 / 130 EXP: 101 / 130
 77%
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wait until you play so much that you look to your performance on Dyso as a grade of your affections.

Whatever that means. icon_question.gif

Anyway, Gesh, do you think there could be some kind of anouncement to players as a server message when they die? Like when someone gains a level? That would make Death a little worse, too, because it would be embarassing. Something like: "Marek D'Shaun was shot down by a Goblin Archer." Maybe even "Nathaniel Marshall, level 15, was smashed by a Experienced Ogre." The level thing could make it even MORE embarassing.
View users profile Send private message Send email Yahoo Messenger
Drudley
PostThu 02/20/03 8:51pm
Surely fun, but, wasnt there a poll on removing that level announcement before? Wouldn tit be a bad idea to add more?  Reply with quote

Glorin
The Badgermouthed

Level: 51
XP
EXP: 82 / 280 EXP: 82 / 280 EXP: 82 / 280
 29%
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Nathaniel Marshall, level 15, was smashed by a Experienced Ogre

how does a level 15 get killed by an experienced ogre?

;0
View users profile Send private message Send email MSN Messenger
Maelstrom696969
PostThu 02/20/03 10:05pm
Hehehehe.....Ed Zachery. Can you imagine what everyone would think if they saw that? It would be like, Smooth move, Big Guy! HAH!  Reply with quote

Kindo
Great Deity

XP
 2%
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy balls! Announcement when you die?!
"Moronic Crabcake was mauled down by an Ogre Eater."
And now, let me ask you ONE question...
Which game does that remind you of? Here's a hint: Diablo 2!
Need I say more? rotz.gif
Geshtal
Lead Project Manager

XP
 82%
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Won't be done. It'll be announced to party members and possibly guild members, but other than that, no one will know. The level p message will be coming out also.
Kindo
PostThu 02/20/03 10:20pm
Oh, thank you! Whew! roll.gif  Reply with quote

Maelstrom696969
Lamer

Level: 35
XP
EXP: 101 / 130 EXP: 101 / 130 EXP: 101 / 130
 77%
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, let me say that, I'm glad the leveling up will be going out, except it would be cool if it stayed JUST for level 20, but I don't really care. And I'm glad the Death thing WILL be in for party and maybe guild members at least. That does indeed make sense. /praise

Now, I'm going to open myself up (off topic) to flaming: What's with all the D2 bashing? Yes, it was linear. Yes, it wasn't truly role-playing. Yes, it was all just about leveling. But c'mon! It was a fun, involving, robust action-fantasy game! Maybe that's just the Wolfenstein/DOOM/Quake lover in me, but I think that the Diablo series and Dungeon Siege have their redeeming qualities. Nothing close to NWN+Dyso, but still.... (sorry about the off topicnessedment) /rant
View users profile Send private message Send email Yahoo Messenger
Kindo
Great Deity

XP
 2%
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Okay, let me say that, I'm glad the leveling up will be going out, except it would be cool if it stayed JUST for level 20, but I don't really care

Yoiu'll have a hard time getting to 20 in the new persistant Dyso icon_wink.gif

And I won't get into that Diablo 2 thing. It's not a pretty sight...
Drudley
PostThu 02/20/03 10:59pm
Since we are on the subject of leveling, Gesh, whats the plans on lvl 20+ in Rebirth?  Reply with quote

Glorin
The Badgermouthed

Level: 51
XP
EXP: 82 / 280 EXP: 82 / 280 EXP: 82 / 280
 29%
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i see keep the XP system the same no matter what screwed up thing bioware adds.

so if as a lvl 19 u get 10 exp for killing a 1000 xp monster, at lvl 20 its the same and at lvl 21 for however long it goes
View users profile Send private message Send email MSN Messenger
richard goldthumb
Master

Level: 10
XP
EXP: 10 / 22 EXP: 10 / 22 EXP: 10 / 22
 45%
PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geshtal wrote:
[

No, you basically have a count of offenses...this count is lowered once every 24 hours. People that surpass the abuse level will be banned. That is how the system works. So if you PK more than 10 people for no reason (meaning not an assassination or war) in a certain time period it'll be taken as abuse and you'll be increased in your warning level. You'll suffer an additional penalty to XP gains and may have extra taxes imposed on your character while under a warning level. The higher the level, the more the punishment. If you exceed the max warning level you'll be banned for a 24 hour period of time. If abuse continues you'll be banned longer and may eventually have your character deleted from the server and your account locked permemantly.

:

so basicly just to see it in ingameterms
when you do a crime alot or several crimes alot in the 24hr period
you can see this as jail time (the banning then) so what i mean is when aditu pp a whole party of 6 ppl evryone 2 times she got caucht and she suffers jail (the banning then)

and when you really cant stop this you get banned forever (meanng the court has penilazed you with a death sentence)

lol its best to make here a bard then in the rebirth because she always seems to find things what ppl drop when there fichting icon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif
View users profile Send private message
This forum is locked you cannot post, reply to or edit topics   This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DysoForums Forum Index -> Dysotopia: The Rebirth All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: