DysoForums Forum Index DysoForums

GalleryGallery   Donate to DysotopiaDonate   Dysotopia.com homepageDyso.com
SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStats   RegisterRegister 
 Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

New OOC rules?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DysoForums Forum Index -> Suggestions - History
View previous topic :: View next topic :: Hide signatures  
psNN
Mortal

Level: 2
XP
EXP: 1 / 8 EXP: 1 / 8 EXP: 1 / 8
 12%
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 2:37 pm    Post subject: New OOC rules? Reply with quote

i have been thinking.. when i play at dysotopia there are SOOOOO many people who r talking OOC, i would like to suggest tht OOC talking should be restricted to "Tell mode" or party mode if needed to say, brb dinner etc etc. Tell mode should not be used as IC talking, at least i dotn think it should cause imagine it realisticly.. can you really talk to a person that is miles away from you I real life?, sure ya can if you have a mobile but i dont really think tht was invented in NWN time... i think its alright sending "letters in Tell mode" FEKS: a black bast swoops past you and drops a piece of parchment at your feeet " I hope this finds you before I am taken to jail etc etc" I think this would be far better RP.. with all this OOC talking like XP, levels, abreviations like lol, brb, gtg etc makes it hard to RP. and there should be penalties for breakin the OOC chat, like loosin gold according to your char level.. well tht is my suggestion! icon_smile.gif icon_biggrin.gif icon_idea.gif
View users profile Send private message
Marine436
Lamer

Level: 34
XP
EXP: 75 / 124 EXP: 75 / 124 EXP: 75 / 124
 60%
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

agreed

but, at the very least USE OOC tag's so are char's Dont see the line emot-yum.gif
Maelstrom696969
Lamer

Level: 35
XP
EXP: 101 / 130 EXP: 101 / 130 EXP: 101 / 130
 77%
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, and I find that there is WAY too much OOC that people don't bother to tag as such in the Arenas. I was in there with some dingleberries the other day, and they were calling each names like 'newb' and stuff like that, and I tried to rp it by saying like "What strange dialog is this you speak?" and they proceeded to tell me "It's called OOC! DUH!" icon_mad.gif

Who's the more newbish? The newb or the newb who newbies newbs?
View users profile Send private message Send email Yahoo Messenger
Marine436
PostTue 03/04/03 3:14pm
yes, areans are NOT ooc area's.  Reply with quote

ShadowCore
Great Deity

Level: 42
XP
EXP: 27 / 186 EXP: 27 / 186 EXP: 27 / 186
 14%
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, although it IS a tad bit(I like those words:D) annoying, that doesn't mean that it has to be illegal. How else are you going to say that you have to go to the bathroom and that you'll be back in a minute? Or that you're doing something else?
It's much and much easier to do stuff like that OOC. BUT you shouldn't use it too much, afterall, this IS an RP server.

View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
expansia
Grandmaster

Level: 17
XP
EXP: 10 / 41 EXP: 10 / 41 EXP: 10 / 41
 24%
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why isn't short hand spelling and abbreviations considered ic? I've noticed this before, when people think that rp means you have to spell everything out and use big words. Saying "methinks" and "aye" doesn't mean you're rpping.

Yes, this short hand was developed in the last 20 years. Well, we're not exactly speaking old English in Dyso, either. I think the problem lies in the fact that we speak faster than we can type. In order to have a conversation flow smoothly and naturally, it's necessary to cut some corners for the sake of speed. For me, this means abbreviations, limited punctuation, and sparse capitalization. As long as the person I am talking to understands my meaning, then I am communicating. THAT is the essence of rp. Communicating in character.
gaea106
Hero

Level: 22
XP
EXP: 59 / 59 EXP: 59 / 59 EXP: 59 / 59
 100%
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 11:54 pm    Post subject: Other ways to communicate Reply with quote

I agree that ooc comments interrupt roleplay. A couple of suggestions:

1) I play with a regular group of friends and we use teamspeak (a free voice chat program) for all our ooc chatter, so it isn't on dyso at all. We leave the roleplay to the keyboard.

2) Most of us all leave our Instant Messengers open during play and we communicate ooc stuff that way, if not in voice chat.

3) If these options don't work I try to remember to use party or tell.
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Maelstrom696969
Lamer

Level: 35
XP
EXP: 101 / 130 EXP: 101 / 130 EXP: 101 / 130
 77%
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically, you should default to rp-speak, because this is a rp server. And whenever you do a normal Talk or Whisper, that should default to rp. And Talk or Whisper that's ooc, should be preceded with ooc.

Tells and Party talk, on the other hand, are different. They don't disturb other people's experiences of the environment. My friends and I constantly do ooc talk in Party mode, along with rp'ing, because it's more fun that way (like as if we were all sitting together around a table doing PnP). If I start Tell-ing something to someone ic, and it turns into ooc, then eventually we drop the ooc tag, because it's understood.

Basically, just don't do ooc stuff without the tag or so much when it will affect other people in the area who you're not speaking with.
View users profile Send private message Send email Yahoo Messenger
Jon316

Level: 51
XP
EXP: 189 / 280 EXP: 189 / 280 EXP: 189 / 280
 67%
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talk, Whisper are RP talk modes, Party/Tells/Shout, are not.

I have never RPed a party chat with someone 4 maps away.. maybe if they were standing right next to me, i did a little bit, but at that only if no one else is around, as it makes no fuggin sense that you can be right next to someone and not hear them becuz they are using party
Ogt
PostFri 03/07/03 1:14am
lol psssn , you have like 20 chars and have never roleplayed any of them, where do you get this ideas from  Reply with quote

Alisttair
Master

Level: 9
XP
EXP: 3 / 20 EXP: 3 / 20 EXP: 3 / 20
 15%
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate it when people don't use Whisper when there are others nearby. Heck, someone once complained to me for using whisper instead of Tell or Party. It took awhile for me to explain to him that it was for RP reasons in case someone was invisible or something, to make it "realistic" and "fair" that they could listen in on our conversation. Hey, it could have screwed up our secret plan, but at least that possibility existed. So everyone, if you wanna talk to just one person when there are others not too far or dont want others to hear, USE WHISPER PUUUUUHHHHHH LEEEEEEEZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!

icon_mrgreen.gif

EDIT: Took away an Emoticon

Caster McFear - professional wrestler
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website MSN Messenger
Shin2k
Elder

Level: 25
XP
EXP: 56 / 73 EXP: 56 / 73 EXP: 56 / 73
 76%
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Talk, Whisper are RP talk modes, Party/Tells/Shout, are not.

Shouts are RP aswell or at least try to keep them to rp I think...

Quote:

lol psssn , you have like 20 chars and have never roleplayed any of them, where do you get this ideas from

Ogt I've never seen you roleplay once neither so don't comment on people that at least try it, cause I saw her roleplaying two or three nights ago
Alisttair
PostFri 03/07/03 6:43am
The only rp I see Ogt do is pissing on dogs. I've seen him do this twice. He is one crazy mofo.  Reply with quote

ShadowCore
Great Deity

Level: 42
XP
EXP: 27 / 186 EXP: 27 / 186 EXP: 27 / 186
 14%
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's just stupid, Shin2k, you comment someone on saying that he hasn't seen someone else roleplay, and then you DO EXACTLY THE SAME THING!!!
Ogt does roleplay, he plays a crazy ass cleric, who is drunk all the time and chases girls....He's quite funny.

And shouts are generally NOT RP, you can use them for a small announcement or such, but other than that, they are not RP.
You should try getting a message all over the world at the same time in the dark ages, see how well that goes. That's what shout does.

psNN
Mortal

Level: 2
XP
EXP: 1 / 8 EXP: 1 / 8 EXP: 1 / 8
 12%
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ogt wrote:
lol psssn , you have like 20 chars and have never roleplayed any of them, where do you get this ideas from

Ogt, I always RP when I kill, its my alignment.. UNless of course the fight is of OOC, (arranged by tell mode or OOC chatting)
View users profile Send private message
Ogt
PostFri 03/07/03 1:56pm
i was kidding and just messing with you, and about your post, Ogt agrees with your thoughts  Reply with quote

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DysoForums Forum Index -> Suggestions - History All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: