DysoForums Forum Index DysoForums

GalleryGallery   Donate to DysotopiaDonate   Dysotopia.com homepageDyso.com
SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStats   RegisterRegister 
 Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Do you think new Isles will drive off new players?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DysoForums Forum Index -> Suggestions - History
View previous topic :: View next topic :: Hide signatures  
Tae
Master

Level: 9
XP
EXP: 17 / 20 EXP: 17 / 20 EXP: 17 / 20
 85%
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 2:45 am    Post subject: Do you think new Isles will drive off new players? Reply with quote

*Whispers in the wind*

A friend and I had a conversation in the woods today over a nice meal of berry-pie and I wondered if others shared our thought.

We were fortunate to have made it out of the Isles and back to our friends in Eleriina. After that ordeal, we debated whether the Isles were a bit too terrifying for new arrivals, especially those too shy to ask for help.

I know that some have suggested that the new changes make the lands more conducive to cooperation and also, to the dream that everyone will have a personality suitable to the realms [ooc -- that is, a "proper roleplayer" -- whatever the heck that is]. However, I wonder if there is a point where some very promising heroes and villians may choose to pass over our exciting world because there are few "gentle" places for individuals to wander.

Of course, there are those who have superior skills and knowledge of the game. For them, this area is a good place to hone their skills and they can find ways to leave the Isles relatively quickly. Undoubtedly, some will feel that it will be a good idea to "drive off" unseasoned adventurers.

However, it is my humble opinion that it would be worthwhile to consider a few "petting zoos" that would be geared toward individuals who need a little time to get used to the adventurer's lifestyle. I leave open the possibility that I missed such a "petting zoo" during my stay on the Isle.

I welcome your thoughts on this matter.

icon_wink.gif Tae
zak_fel
Hero

Level: 21
XP
EXP: 8 / 56 EXP: 8 / 56 EXP: 8 / 56
 14%
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how does one leave the isles??
in their 5th season??

so that would mean killing bugbears for 5 whole seasons??
not everyone can kill the same thing over and over again icon_wink.gif
pillb0x
PostTue 03/18/03 2:50am
Three seasons auctally.
A very simple feat which can be done by allying with just one or many people.

Conrad Hollows
Har-Rhun Project Leader

Level: 38
XP
EXP: 13 / 153 EXP: 13 / 153 EXP: 13 / 153
 8%
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the Eastern Isle scares them off, then I say good riddance. I will quote Geshtal on this matter ...

Me: "You know this death system and the initial starting zones are probably gonna drive off some players used to the way it was."

Gesh: "Good riddance to them."
Malakalam
High Elder

Level: 30
XP
EXP: 45 / 99 EXP: 45 / 99 EXP: 45 / 99
 45%
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually I understand all you have to do is wait ten minutes and then you can go to eleriina.

The lightning is evil, I was trying to talk to someone and the guy next to me in my party was suddenly struck dead icon_sad.gif
BriHurley
The Lord of Kravenwood Estates

Level: 17
XP
EXP: 14 / 41 EXP: 14 / 41 EXP: 14 / 41
 34%
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to add that at level 3 there is a lot of killable stuff on Dysotopia(the Island) if you stay to the west of eleriina and then north of Souther Jeshan you will find gnolls to be good hunting....you may also get there via Eleriina Valley and head straight through Eastern Jeshan...to Central Jeshan and keep heading west you will level quite easily. I designed those ares to help the progression of level 3-6 then off to fight ogre's and some new areas that will be coming up shortly....I have doubled the size of the Island of Dysotopia....See the map in the gallery..... http://dyso.joelpt.net/forums/album_view.php?id=404
This will give you an idea of how the lands are layed out....enjoy the hard work we have put into making Dysotopia the best mod available be patient it will come in do time, if you need help ask people will be glad to help.

bow.gif bow.gif pimp.gif
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Draken
PostTue 03/18/03 5:35am
Kool I was hoping that we could back to there  Reply with quote

Shin2k
Elder

Level: 25
XP
EXP: 56 / 73 EXP: 56 / 73 EXP: 56 / 73
 76%
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uhm I think the most important thing is NEW players, will leave quicker because most people will be in Eleriina then and no one can team up with you then..
At least thats what I think, and the 5 minute death thing is sooo icon_twisted.gif I've never served death let alone serve him for 5 minutes!!!! weirdlook.gif
Ah well, I think there should be in suggestion forum some kind of topic for suggestion on 3.x or however its called icon_smile.gif
klept
Mortal

Level: 2
XP
EXP: 4 / 8 EXP: 4 / 8 EXP: 4 / 8
 50%
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just logged back to play with my fresh new character and i find that there's simply not enough creatures to kill to get xp... it gets boring very very fast and i lose interest in playing very quickly. if i didn't know that there was eleriina waiting for me, i'd quit the server and never return ;P

the isle thing is a good idea for new people [like the explanations given by the npc and such... a training course would actually be better btw] but there's just simply not much to do. i'm dying out there and it's not the bugbears, it's the boredom! ;]

it feels like a punishment really. actually, how about this suggestion:

when players misbehave, instead of slamming them in jail, just drop them off at the island unable to kill anything but bugbears... that'll teach them!
View users profile Send private message
Daywin
Noob

Level: 1
XP
EXP: 1 / 9 EXP: 1 / 9 EXP: 1 / 9
 11%
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey... I was thinking, what happens when a theif comes up on a dead body? 5 minutes of stratight pick pocketing? 5 minutes = 300 seconds, steal every 3 seconds, thats 100 steals. Thats like all of a persons belongings. icon_eek.gif
RedStorm
PostWed 03/19/03 8:51am
thats rp icon_mrgreen.gif  Reply with quote

Kindo
Great Deity

Level: 48
XP
EXP: 6 / 245 EXP: 6 / 245 EXP: 6 / 245
 2%
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daywin wrote:
Hey... I was thinking, what happens when a theif comes up on a dead body? 5 minutes of stratight pick pocketing? 5 minutes = 300 seconds, steal every 3 seconds, thats 100 steals. Thats like all of a persons belongings. icon_eek.gif

::sigh:: Here we go again: The whole intention with the new death system is to make players fear death above all. And it seems to me the plans were successful. You really should have a party with you on your adventures, and think twice before rushing into battles (with PCs aswells as NPCs). Mission accomplished!
View users profile Send private message Send email AIM Address MSN Messenger
Geoff
Master

Level: 12
XP
EXP: 26 / 27 EXP: 26 / 27 EXP: 26 / 27
 96%
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think there is ANY difficulty with the starting islands. I had a 1st level bard I made solely for the purpose of rping, so I had like a 10 in dex and str and con, definitely not the best situation for combat. It was cake, though... pick up a swordsman's belt, a wand of frost, and a dozen or so potions are you can clear out the crypts on your own. Seriously, no problem. Incidentally, aren't undead supposed to be immune to cold damage?
View users profile Send private message Send email AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Precentor
Noob

Level: 1
XP
EXP: 6 / 9 EXP: 6 / 9 EXP: 6 / 9
 66%
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
::sigh:: Here we go again: The whole intention with the new death system is to make players fear death above all. And it seems to me the plans were successful. You really should have a party with you on your adventures, and think twice before rushing into battles (with PCs aswells as NPCs). Mission accomplished!

Thats true, and it does make everyone more careful, but the thing is, it makes people think twice about leaving Eleriina, since there persists to be people who will kill your character for no reason, with not provocation, and no roleplaying.[/quote]
GorbGuy

Level: 51
XP
EXP: 189 / 280 EXP: 189 / 280 EXP: 189 / 280
 67%
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Precentor wrote:
Quote:

Thats true, and it does make everyone more careful, but the thing is, it makes people think twice about leaving Eleriina, since there persists to be people who will kill your character for no reason, with not provocation, and no roleplaying.
These are the people you need to report to the DM/mods to be dealt with. If ya' think about, in some aspects, Dyso resembles real life, in that for every 100 people, there are 10 just waiting to screw something good up. That what the police (ie, DM's/mods) are for. To slap them on the ass and tell them that if they don't knock off their crap, they'll be punished (ie. banned.) icon_wink.gif
Marquis Drayfox
Fox Child

Level: 32
XP
EXP: 6 / 111 EXP: 6 / 111 EXP: 6 / 111
 5%
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... I don't think it would scare people away if you tone down the hobgoblins a bit and...

You change the weapons they hold into shortbows rather than crossbows!

Like I said earlier, a d8 is way too much at that level. d6 is much better.
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Maelstrom696969
Lamer

Level: 35
XP
EXP: 101 / 130 EXP: 101 / 130 EXP: 101 / 130
 77%
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malakalam wrote:
actually I understand all you have to do is wait ten minutes and then you can go to eleriina.

The lightning is evil, I was trying to talk to someone and the guy next to me in my party was suddenly struck dead icon_sad.gif

Yes the first part is true. Talk to the captain, wait 10 rl minutes (2 game hours), and talk to him again, and you can leave. That simple.

And the second part is true too! SO EVIL! icon_twisted.gif icon_twisted.gif icon_twisted.gif I roll on the floor laughing whenever I see someone get hit! It's great! I about peed my shorts the first time I saw it!!! I'll probably get stomach cramps when it happens to me!
View users profile Send private message Send email Yahoo Messenger
Ogt
Elder

Level: 26
XP
EXP: 26 / 78 EXP: 26 / 78 EXP: 26 / 78
 33%
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just want to say that i like this dyso 100 times more than the old one,
and all my thanks to they guys that work in it for hours till their eyes hurt!

CONGRATULATIONS the mod is better than ever

cheers
Froja
PostThu 03/20/03 10:03am
I totally agree with Ogt !

The mod is really a better place now . Congrats to all the developers !

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DysoForums Forum Index -> Suggestions - History All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: