DysoForums Forum Index DysoForums

GalleryGallery   Donate to DysotopiaDonate   Dysotopia.com homepageDyso.com
SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStats   RegisterRegister 
 Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Powergameing
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DysoForums Forum Index -> Suggestions - History
View previous topic :: View next topic :: Hide signatures  
Norrec
Hero

Level: 23
XP
EXP: 30 / 65 EXP: 30 / 65 EXP: 30 / 65
 46%
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2003 3:58 am    Post subject: Powergameing Reply with quote

I hear about a lot of people powergameing. Want to know one way you could fix it? A diffrent rest system. Currntly I beleave it says you can rest and get all your spells, all your HP, and all your skillz back every 5 minites. Now this is ok, but every 5 minites? A mage could get there most powerfull spellz adn cast them almost ifinately. Cast, run away, rest, repeat. Now im not saying not beinga ble to rest ever. Maybe only able to rest every 20 min or something. UNLESS! you go to a "good"(rather rich) inn/hotel which you could maybe rest every 10 minites at, but would cost some coin. 20 lets say. This would make it harder for mages to solo without a group of clerics(which when u can rest every 5 min for full HP, kind of lose there edge) and fighters.
OR, lower the cost of a inn/hotel down to say 5. Make it where if you dont rest at a inn/hotel there is a say... 35-50% chance of a failed rest.

These are only ideas I thoght of while I was bored. Feel free to post your opinons and Ideas about them.
View users profile Send private message Send email MSN Messenger
Malakalam
PostSun 03/23/03 6:26am
you'd still have trouble with fighters reaching high levels
How about we just have a perm death system?

Jenus
Noob

Level: 1
XP
EXP: 4 / 9 EXP: 4 / 9 EXP: 4 / 9
 44%
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2003 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well whats wrong with powergamers. It dosen't mean they dont RP. It just means they would like to do more then sit in town all day. Not only that alot of powergammers have no life (no-offence i am one to) and are on over 8-12 hours a day. What do you expect us to do sit around all day trying to rest.

We are on all the time so we get the title "Powergamer" and get nice and strong and rich. But we work are asses off doing it. Then you get the people who play maybe 8-12 hours a week and what to borrow money take them hunting with you and soo on. And when you don't they get mad call you a powergamer blah blah.....And then want to make it harder on you. Don't you think the people that spend there all there time and effort playing here should get a little more respect then calling them powergamers and try to limit there abiltes.

And as for the rest part in R/L i can sit my ass down and rest anytime i need to there isnt a limit i think 5 min's is plenty of time.

So didn't mean to sound rude or harsh. That's just my opion on "Powergaming" icon_wink.gif
View users profile Send private message
pyrosmurfs
Master

Level: 12
XP
EXP: 7 / 27 EXP: 7 / 27 EXP: 7 / 27
 25%
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2003 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yah I hear what Jenus is saying.

Although you are trying to solve problems and ATLEAST comming up with solutions Mr. Norrec, I feel prehapse your picking on Mages. I play a full on cleric, a full on MAGIC casting only cleric. Sure I can use my morning star that hits maybe 1 out of 5 times and deals about 4dmg. I have 6 spells hotkeyed (offensive spells I mean) but thats it. I've been playing since day one of the whipe and I'm still level 5. Now lets take Grok... not that I have anything against him (except his level which I wouldn't mind being icon_mrgreen.gif ) but hes like level 14 now. He probably plays more than me, but it takes him about 3 or 4 (from like 3 to 6/7)of my lower levels to reach from 13 to 14. He's a melee fighter. It's HELLA hard leveling at lower levels for mages, even HARDER since we start at 1 instead of 5.

It has potential, but just refine it a bit to make it fair to everyone.

You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the US of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the 3 most powerful men in America are named 'Bush', 'Dick', and 'Colon
--------------
RPG's I'm very excited about:
-PSO 1&2
-Final Fantasy 11
-World of War Craft
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address
Drudo Wisto
Adept

Level: 6
XP
EXP: 3 / 14 EXP: 3 / 14 EXP: 3 / 14
 21%
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2003 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let people powergame... maybe that's the only way for them to feel good !
We others can just sit back and relax. icon_smile.gif
PaulJonas
Adept

Level: 4
XP
EXP: 9 / 11 EXP: 9 / 11 EXP: 9 / 11
 81%
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2003 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure how the fatigue system works, but before anyone starts messing around with changing how often you can rest, it might be a good idea to consider how long it takes to exhaust oneself. I don't want to have to enter a battle at 70% fatigue because I have to wait 20 min to rest again.

Also, I still don't understand why so many other people are so concerned with how people are playing the game on this server. (I mean in terms of leveling faster than others and such) Its not hurting you if I get on the server and reach level 20 in 1 month. Sure there are ways to promote more partying, but there have been plenty of time when I have been on and unable to find ppl to party with. Sometimes you just want to fight solo too. I'm all for team play and cooperation but do we really need to try and find obscure ways of making people play a certain way? Isn't part of the game the ability to have all different kinds of players and personalities interract? And, I swear to god, if I hear that's the way it is and if you don't like it you can leave from anyone other than an admin, mod, or DM, I'm going to **** a brick. So for those of you that disagree with me, back off and make a persuasive argument for once. You don't speak for the entire community.
Selenia_Genoell
Grandmaster

Level: 14
XP
EXP: 26 / 33 EXP: 26 / 33 EXP: 26 / 33
 78%
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2003 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main problem I have with powergaming is the mentality that develops in the majortiy of the power gamers.

They seem to want to prove they are better then everyone else. To do that many of them pick fights with parties or start wars.

I'm sorry but given how much crap went on before the wipe I don't really want to see that again.

Lucifer is a known trouble maker and has been known to gloat about how good his character is and tell other players how lousy theirs is.

Grok generally is a problem fixer.

Selenia is mostly a helper.

Jenus is an unknown but is not as big a potential problem as Lucifer is becuase he's a fighter type.

It's the "I'm better then you and I'm going to kill you to prove it" mentality that really is annoying. It's also annoying when they try and use a patheticly transpart attempt at RP to vainly try and justify their usually OOC actions.

If your going to power game or power level at least have the guts to not try and hide behind a lie about it.
RedStorm
Elder

Level: 27
XP
EXP: 10 / 83 EXP: 10 / 83 EXP: 10 / 83
 12%
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2003 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actully Selenia_Genoell
YOU ARE A POWEGAMER,stop calling others so,i know u,i know what happned and U HAD NO IC RESON TO KILL LUCIFER WHEN HE CAME TO TALK,AND WHEN U CAST NEGTIVE BRUST IN A NOT ARENA PVP AREA CHEAK FOR OTHERS U GOD DAMN FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL,bahhhhhhh
View users profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
Selenia_Genoell
Grandmaster

XP
EXP: 26 / 33 EXP: 26 / 33 EXP: 26 / 33
 78%
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2003 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

?

I've never hit Lucifer with Neg. Energy Burst that i'm aware of.

I've hit him with Ice Storm and Melf's but not Neg. Energy Burst.

Really Red, you seem to have serious anger problems. Calm down.

I killed Lucifer once and he vowed to res rape me forever for it because, perish the though, he lost some XP.

I killed him infront of the entrance tot he Kravenwood riftgate temple where he was waiting for me.

*Hands out Clue cards*

Selenia, in Kravenwood, with the Ice Storm.

As far as having an IC reason to do it, nope. I could probably come up with one like "He's an evil person that has tried to take over Kravenwood in the past" but why bother? Your likely to twist anything I say to your own ends.

He was killed for caring more about how fast he could get XP instead of if he could RP or not.

He was killed for waltzing into an area that was already occupied by other people and going out of his way to try and kill everything there before the people who were aalready there could.

He was killed for refusing to be reasonable and stay on the other spawn that he was running back and forth between.

He was killed for not RPing any time I've run into him.

He was killed for power leveling exclussivly and comeing up with what has to be the lamest attempt at an RP excuse that I have heard to date.

To sum it up, he was killed for being an ill-mannered powerleveling powergamer with a rather poor history in terms of starting trouble.

If you want to flame me or hate me like Ogt wants you to then go right ahead. I'm used to people not likeing me being honest.
RedStorm
Elder

XP
EXP: 10 / 83 EXP: 10 / 83 EXP: 10 / 83
 12%
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2003 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Listen and listen well,You dont have the right to judge him for nor rp'ing,for powerleveling nor for every thing else,You and nel attacked him,Dont bother saying you didn't,as for keavenwoods! I was the one that wanted to take over dyosotpia,And did it good as well,As for YOU stop judging pepole,and maybe ppl will actully start to like you icon_cool.gif .... so for the last time,dont jugde pepole,since if i was to judge you,Mark my word,it whold be worst then lucifer
View users profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
Selenia_Genoell
PostSun 03/23/03 9:56am
If you act offline like you do on here I'm suprised your still alive. your temper is to forceful.  Reply with quote

RedStorm
PostSun 03/23/03 9:58am
icon_eek.gif god damn you are wired  Reply with quote

Griff Inn
Ice Lolly

XP
EXP: 46 / 65 EXP: 46 / 65 EXP: 46 / 65
 70%
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2003 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I don't particularly like powergaming, I think it ruins the roleplay side. Like I said before, most people are not bothering with the roleplay and are just killing monsters for xp all day long. Then when they get to level 20 they'll actually make an attempt to roleplay. cussing.gif

Also what annoys me is that some players think that having the highest level and most powerful char automatically earns yourself some status and respect. Well, let me just say that anyone who thinks that is completely wrong. I have far more respect for those that roleplay and are low level than the high level powergamers. cussing.gif

And another thing - what is the obsession about getting to level 20? I used to be all "must get to lvl 20, must get to lvl 20", but now it just seems dumb. I mean there's no rush, people should just lay back and relax a bit more, and instead of camping the topaz quarry (which I believe is the powergamers campsite from what I've heard).

If anyone gets to level 20, and starts trying on the "well, now I'm lvl 20, I think I'll roleplay" shit, and they start killing lower levels "because I'm evil", I wont be too happy. That lowbie has spent more time roleplaying than the powergamer, and it's just totally wrong. Though I think I heard Conrad say something like this somewhere on the forums.

Oh, and one more thing - a lotta you probably wont agree with this, but I think political figures that need to spend time roleplaying rather than monster-bashing should be given a lot of xp for doing just that. In fact, I'm rather hoping that we'll be getting more xp for roleplay than killing stuff eventually. Though how this will be accomplished I don't know.

Griff
Lucifer
Master

XP
EXP: 9 / 33 EXP: 9 / 33 EXP: 9 / 33
 27%
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2003 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jenus wrote:
Well whats wrong with powergamers. It dosen't mean they dont RP. It just means they would like to do more then sit in town all day. Not only that alot of powergammers have no life (no-offence i am one to) and are on over 8-12 hours a day. What do you expect us to do sit around all day trying to rest.

We are on all the time so we get the title "Powergamer" and get nice and strong and rich. But we work are asses off doing it. Then you get the people who play maybe 8-12 hours a week and what to borrow money take them hunting with you and soo on. And when you don't they get mad call you a powergamer blah blah.....And then want to make it harder on you. Don't you think the people that spend there all there time and effort playing here should get a little more respect then calling them powergamers and try to limit there abiltes.

And as for the rest part in R/L i can sit my ass down and rest anytime i need to there isnt a limit i think 5 min's is plenty of time.

So didn't mean to sound rude or harsh. That's just my opion on "Powergaming" icon_wink.gif

only 8-12 hours per day? that aint much...i sit 16...16*6 thats alot of hours...thats how many hours i have been sitting playing this game this week icon_biggrin.gif

Glorin wrote:
You have proven to be loyal and a generally fun guy to play with, not once have i seen you exhibit bad roleplay.

-<{Lord Lucifer The Dark One}>-
View users profile Send private message MSN Messenger
ElbowJoint
Mortal

Level: 3
XP
EXP: 5 / 9 EXP: 5 / 9 EXP: 5 / 9
 55%
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2003 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that Lucifer is getting a bad rap. I know he's rotten and dark and all that, but he did a good job RPing with a group I was in recently.

Yes, he's got some evil in him and his character is selfish and rotten. He does this well. Keep in mind that if someone is nasty to you he's not a "bad" RP'r. His character is named after the root of all evil and he's trying to live up to that.

Rotten or not, he's doing fine. To properly RP his character he must be more powerful than many others. Because you people will shout a "kill on sight" command and he will have to defend himself. It's proper RP for him to steal your kills, loot, and become more powerful.

By they way, he'll probably kill me next time I see him.... It's his rotten, nasty, evil nature.

Blah!

...a believer in balance...
Norrec
Hero

XP
 46%
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2003 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm sorry I forgot about the fatigue. But atleast make it where you dont get all your HP back. Im about to heal someone when they go, na I can sit.
Errr I dont know who the PGers are. My bro saw someone walking around droping potions and magic bolts, makeing fires all over. Is that a errr rich PGer?

If they are RPing, they cant send a "Kill on sight" command. How could they get that message to every adventure in the land? All lucifier would need to do I change helmets, armor, wepons, sheild, and gloves. You now have a !completly! new character. Now before you type say *in a muffled voice* they cant say "I know that voice!" Then a new name hmmmmmm you can think of one. Remmber, the name above the persons head isint really there. Remmber, you can RP out of everything, as long as there are other good RPers there.
Jase
Elder

XP
EXP: 34 / 83 EXP: 34 / 83 EXP: 34 / 83
 40%
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2003 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HERE'S A NOTE TO EVERYBODY:

You all complain about powergaming? Well let's see EVERYONE is a powergamer in some way. There is a way you can call anyone a powergamer and probably prove it too. There will always be 2 types of people: Those who are powergamers and WANT to be and those who try not to be. Instead of constantly complaining try to do what you can to stop powergaming and hope for the best. Complaining does nothing and you'll never stop powergamers totally. So live, play, try, and hope for the best and do what you can. Don't hope for the immpossible, hope for the possible.
Conrad Hollows
Har-Rhun Project Leader

Level: 38
XP
EXP: 13 / 153 EXP: 13 / 153 EXP: 13 / 153
 8%
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2003 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will reinterate that anyone who has the misconception that getting to level 20 is going to mean open season on everyone else is going to be sorely mistaken. I say that not only for myself but for the rest of the DM crew ... I think it's pretty much universally agreed amongst us that we're not going to tolerate it.

Also, insofar as the roleplay angle goes ... when I am on as dm I try to float around the zones to see what is going on. If I see someone really roleplaying, I am not opposed to giving them some xp bonus for doing so. Doesn't even have to be RPing a fight, either.
Ogt
Elder

Level: 26
XP
EXP: 26 / 78 EXP: 26 / 78 EXP: 26 / 78
 33%
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2003 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jenus is a highly respected player by me and most if not all old players that know him

he came to this island probably the same day that i did, and since we first partied we have always been friends, so dont speak crap about someone you dont know because of his high lvl,
apart from being one of the best fighters not only here but in many other servers hes a great buddy

what just cause he likes sharpening his skills he deserves the title of "powergamer" i think not

i think the people that call others power gamers or bad roleplayers , are the real pg and bad rpyers.

selenia is lvlin like hell too, so i think he should shut up his hypocrite mouth once and for all

am i a powergamer? hell yes, i like to be strong and kick ass. why? cause i talk too much all the time , and i like backing up my words with power, being kick it your butt myself, or sending 10 people to kill you, theres many forms of power, and i like and use them all

right now i still stand at lvl8, mostly because i spend hours talking and teaching other people what bacchus can do for theyr lifes LOL, so does that make me a chatting powergamer?????

lol i will call myself the chatting powergamer!!!!!!

just because people dont play like you want them to play it doesnt mean that is wrong

same as lucifer, i havent hear ONE SINGLE COMPLAINT about him.
so go bash someone else since he is doing a great job with his char

grok? heck everyone likes grok
he like jenus likes to grow strong fast, and whats wrong with that?
if you complain about this, its becuase you are jealous, theres hundreds of people to sspeak with at dyso, so haveing some lvl+15 players shouldnt be an issue at all, as i said, you are just jealous that you are not as half as good as they are

POINT
Ogt
Elder

Level: 26
XP
EXP: 26 / 78 EXP: 26 / 78 EXP: 26 / 78
 33%
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2003 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh yes and jenus used to play with a char named MYST/MYTH (sorc), im sure you remember now selenia...
remember who killed a dragon in a few mins at jeshan once??
well there you go, thats jenus the man himself
Norrec
Hero

XP
 46%
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2003 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Umm, I havent complained about anyone being a PGer yet. I just hear about them a lot and came up with a idea. Sooo... dont look at me. icon_wink.gif
Ogt
PostSun 03/23/03 4:56pm
hehe it wasnt meant for you  Reply with quote

Glorin
The Badgermouthed

Level: 51
XP
EXP: 82 / 280 EXP: 82 / 280 EXP: 82 / 280
 29%
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2003 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont take ogt seriously, he smokes pot and drinks at the same time. Each substance is laced with heroin and crack. He should be dead by now and doctor's are baffled on why he has survived this long.
[quote:a89551bc29="AliZee'"]that shits utterly devoid of any meaningless sense...i tottally disagree on tha basis that tha argument you have pressented is full of actual facts and shit, i think based on tha fact that i have no idea of what tha fuck you were talkin gabout i would have to wholoeheartedly proclaim that you are wrong.
Thank you,
AliZee'[/quote]
View users profile Send private message Send email MSN Messenger
Kindo
PostSun 03/23/03 5:13pm
I'm baffled too.  Reply with quote

Glorin
PostSun 03/23/03 5:15pm
Join thed 86.7 1/2% of the worlds population who is baffled at it too. People all around the world are asking, why the hell has ogt survived?  Reply with quote

Kindo
PostSun 03/23/03 5:20pm
It's one of life's mysteries.  Reply with quote

Glorin
PostSun 03/23/03 5:36pm
indeed  Reply with quote

Norrec
Hero

XP
 46%
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2003 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe he is a alien icon_eek.gif
There, I have now helped the 86.7% of the world that didnt know. WOO HOO IM FAMOUS!
Glorin
PostSun 03/23/03 5:41pm
no, no you aren't badger.gif  Reply with quote

Lucifer
Master

XP
EXP: 9 / 33 EXP: 9 / 33 EXP: 9 / 33
 27%
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2003 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ogt, i am getting complaints from some guys but not from all. I have now *stopped* the most of my research down at TQ cause everyone is complaining.
And if i see Selenia down there...well you'll see what i do..Maybe it pop up in the forum maybe not.
Take this as a threat, take it as a blessing. Do what you want with it.
But YOU know Selenia i NOW have a GOOOOOD reason to kill you.
icon_twisted.gif Its called --<<{{Revenge!]]>>-- icon_twisted.gif but you dont know when it comes. Maybe today maybe tomorrow...or maybe not at all..But dont consider me as a friend from now on. And if you see me walking around somewhere, let me be and leave the area.
Maybe ill go berzerk on you directly...Who knows?

Glorin wrote:
You have proven to be loyal and a generally fun guy to play with, not once have i seen you exhibit bad roleplay.

-<{Lord Lucifer The Dark One}>-
View users profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DysoForums Forum Index -> Suggestions - History All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: