DysoForums Forum Index DysoForums

GalleryGallery   Donate to DysotopiaDonate   Dysotopia.com homepageDyso.com
SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStats   RegisterRegister 
 Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

memory access error

View previous topic :: View next topic :: Hide signatures  
pEppEr

Level: 51
XP
EXP: 189 / 280 EXP: 189 / 280 EXP: 189 / 280
 67%
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2002 2:15 pm    Post subject: memory access error Reply with quote

This may be a problem with nwn but I only get this problem with dysotopia mod. When loading areas either after trying to respawn or most often when loading another area on the map, I get a memory access error and nwn dies.
I'm using the latest patch as of this time. My machine is a win2k, 256MB but with a lowly amd 400
any idea?
if you have any questions or suggestions contact me at pepperMonkey@moose-mail.com

thanks
pEppEr
BriHurley
PostSun 09/08/02 5:28pm
The basic requirements for this game are:

AMD K6-450 Min
Pent III 800/Athlon 800 Recommended

Foozbane
Elder

Level: 24
XP
EXP: 26 / 68 EXP: 26 / 68 EXP: 26 / 68
 38%
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2002 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be due to your too-slow CPU, but I kind of doubt that would cause the error you are getting. Particularly since there is no real difference between a 400 and 450 CPU except for a few MHz of speed.

I would suggest (1) reinstalling the latest drivers for your graphics card; (2) reinstalling DirectX; (3) reinstalling your OS -- in that order.

You might also try turning down graphics acceleration to None in Settings->Control Panel->Display->Settings->Advanced->Troubleshoot. Doing this stopped my NWN and toolset from crashing (so much).

Fooz
View users profile Send private message Send email
Weyr Wyrm'fang

Level: 51
XP
EXP: 189 / 280 EXP: 189 / 280 EXP: 189 / 280
 67%
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 2:00 pm    Post subject: Same bug Reply with quote

Hi,

I get the same bug. Entering areas or exiting the game usually causes it. NWN.EXE error.

WinXP Pro
196 megs
Pentium III 900
Latest drivers, SP1, etc.

Weyr
BladE
Mortal

Level: 3
XP
EXP: 4 / 9 EXP: 4 / 9 EXP: 4 / 9
 44%
PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2002 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the problem is not directly related to NwN in any way. I know some maps in dyso are HUGE and take a lot of memory.

So logically, if u have a 'small' memory size, like 256 Mb or lower and your Virtual memory size is low (for example because u capped it or u have low diskspace @ c: ) it COULD happen nwn cannot allocate more memory for the map/game & crashes.

So, i think u should try the following steps:

-Clean up your C: drive or the drive that contains the swap file of windows
-Get more memory (512mb perhaps?)
-Uncap your swap file IF it's capped
-Close ALL other apps u don't need (especially the memory-hungry types, Internet explorer EASILY eats 30 megs of your RAM)

Try this, i think it will solve the entire prob.. if not.. then check for viruses icon_smile.gif
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website MSN Messenger
Geshtal
Lead Project Manager

Level: 28
XP
EXP: 72 / 87 EXP: 72 / 87 EXP: 72 / 87
 82%
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2002 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, try to document which areas you have the cras during. In Dyso we have exceeded the maximum recommended area size by a factor of 4x so some of the areas can take up quite a chunk of memory. We did this to allow for larger wilderness areas that are required to span the vastness of the land. Would you rather hunt in a large ogre forest? or have to change areas 4 times to cover the same amount of terrain? icon_wink.gif

These areas won't be changing so read the post above and if you can see about getting some upgrades for your PC. RAM is cheap these days!! (Unless you rin DDR like I do icon_sad.gif)

Gesh
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DysoForums Forum Index -> Bugs - History All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: