DysoForums Forum Index DysoForums

GalleryGallery   Donate to DysotopiaDonate   Dysotopia.com homepageDyso.com
SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStats   RegisterRegister 
 Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

I miss the old Dyso...

View previous topic :: View next topic :: Hide signatures  
Ectovult
Elder

Level: 24
XP
EXP: 57 / 68 EXP: 57 / 68 EXP: 57 / 68
 83%
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 5:00 pm    Post subject: I miss the old Dyso... Reply with quote

I can remember it like it was yesterday...
Everyone got along just fine. (some exceptions apply, of course).
Glorin used to spam the forums to death, while oggy and hash prepared their next plan on how to create havoc.
People used to walk around and have fun in the island and, despite what many said in that time, there was some cool RP. Of course there was also a lot of powergaming... but what the hell... most of the powergamers knew how to RP very well when they wanted to.
Almost everyone knew each other, either OOC or just IC.
I can remember sitting in eleriina or sylvandale for HOURS, just talking with other people. We exchanged knowledge and shared our adventures and thoughts.
It was a time of dreams... people constantly dreamed about what Dyso would become and how it would be the best MOD around... when an update was added, even if it was as small as a adding a new bench in eleriina, everyone got excited about it!
The arguments that existed were almost always gone in one or two days...
Gesh used to say that he wanted this MOD to be FUN... and hell... it was fun!!!

Now all of the oldies are going away. They either got tired of playing NWN or they got disapointed with Dyso. I guess we all expected a lot from it, and didn't quite get what we were hoping for.
Now, we still have powergamers, but these ones don't bother much in RPing once in a while.
People don't know each other anymore... too many new faces and too little interaction... people are just worried in getting their levels, and don't care about some good old chat sitting at the inn or the fountain.
People don't dream about Dyso being the best anymore... it seems like almost everyone decided to let the devs have all the ideas and refrain to just sit and watch Dyso grow.
Now, people get angry all the time. Constant flames between players create bad atmospheres and really take away all the fun.

I miss the old Dyso...
I've been away from it for about 2 weeks now, because I needed a break. I need to WANT to play again... I want to have FUN when I play it, otherwise, there's no point...

Let's make this fun once again...Let's bring the old Dyso's spirit back...
Drudley
PostWed 05/28/03 5:03pm
I just feel like stating that if your not RPing it doesnt mean that you are PGing...

But yeah, i agree with you

Shin2k
Elder

Level: 25
XP
EXP: 56 / 73 EXP: 56 / 73 EXP: 56 / 73
 76%
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, I made some topic about the old days aswell, but people got annoyed with it I guess, well... I sure want the old dyso spirit back... but ILl need to be stronger the nI am now, cause I used to tell everyone I'd kick their dimbwitbumholes! icon_mrgreen.gif icon_mrgreen.gif icon_mrgreen.gif
DM_Logic
Adept

Level: 8
XP
EXP: 4 / 19 EXP: 4 / 19 EXP: 4 / 19
 21%
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: I miss the old Dyso... Reply with quote

[quote="Ectovult"]
Almost everyone knew each other, either OOC or just IC.

Thats not a true statement. I see lots of interaction! What do you live in a bubble when you come to dyso? I know more people now on dyso then I ever did. Most of the DM events bring lots of people together. It's offered me oppertunities to meet many new Characters.

And all that other mess you was talk'n was pure dribble..hehehe

Go out and interact guy.

Note: please don't take this harsh it was not meant to sound like I was bust'n on ya
View users profile Send private message
GorbGuy

Level: 51
XP
EXP: 189 / 280 EXP: 189 / 280 EXP: 189 / 280
 67%
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I have a theory behind all of these people being bored with Dyso, and it has a lot to do with leveling, so to speak. People here (and in the world of NWN in general) have this farked up misconception that in order to roleplay things out, one must reach 20th level. Well, what I always seem to find most odd about this, is the fact that there are players out there who are having a blast role playing at... 5th level, 4th level, etc. Now, I will be the first to admit, that I think the number one cause of people having this misconception, especially now, is do to the Eastern Isles. If I had it my way, these would be removed. Gone, deleted, etc. So many n00bs come here, seeing that the server has 20 to 30 people on it, that they instantly get the wrong idea about Dyso the minute they step foot off the ship. They get off the boat, and there is nothing. Not a thing. A close friend of mine recently started playing here after being a devoted Ultima Online fan. First thing he mentioned was the fact that in the week or so that he's been playing here, he's only seen one other person while on the isles. Point is, it's very hard to start roleplaying on a server, where the majority of the people are on the mainland. So, these people are instantly starting their dyso experiance as non roleplayers (how many of us can actually role play when not seeing a single person for a week or better?) Well, once they get to Eleriina, they realize that this is where all of the people are, but because they are so much further down the totem pole (socially and levelwise,) they again get a funny sense of what Dyso is. So they bring concerns and what not to the forums, the "old timers" hackle and harass the n00bs, and suddenly everyone is pissed off at one another. It's a every moving downward spiral.
My cure all - remove those blasted Isles. Add to the mainland. Shrink down the area sizes (not only is it a mental thing to have more small areas, than fewer large areas, it also helps on the performance of the game icon_wink.gif) Make a new seperate island for people just wanting a "me bash" fest or whatever. Properly organized guilds that actually welcome n00bs (yes, evil, neutral, and good alighned.) And reinstate Gloth. I think if we did just these changes, we'd see Dyso start to turn around.

Last edited by GorbGuy on Wed May 28, 2003 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total
Sep
PostWed 05/28/03 5:24pm
The old days? Bah, when sewer rats dropped items worth 10K gold? Yeah...so much fun...

Last edited by Sep on Wed May 28, 2003 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total

Drudley
High Elder

Level: 31
XP
EXP: 76 / 104 EXP: 76 / 104 EXP: 76 / 104
 73%
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came to think about something, nobody likes OOC rules in an IC game (at least i dont, they make no sense), but really what OOC rules do we have?
Well, most of them is rules about what you may or may not do to other players, (the PK tracker!?) and also mostly bad things, like "illegal" things, for example killing and stealing.
These rules restricts so very much, so how can we remove them without starting utter chaos?

Here is an easy and simple solution, add laws in the cities, IC laws, not to mentio someone to enforce them, also known as guards or police.

Oh yeah, because this can not be mentioned to little: SUBDUAL DAMAGE!!!!!!!
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Uin
Hardass

Level: 33
XP
EXP: 60 / 117 EXP: 60 / 117 EXP: 60 / 117
 51%
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats not the old days, wheres chicken pooping out uber items in the pit, wheres the Golden Dragon giving out free lvls, the open doors to hell, the blue slaad commander...
View users profile Send private message Send email AIM Address MSN Messenger
Marquis Drayfox
PostWed 05/28/03 6:31pm
Damn you're old Uin! icon_mrgreen.gif  Reply with quote

RedStorm
Elder

Level: 27
XP
EXP: 10 / 83 EXP: 10 / 83 EXP: 10 / 83
 12%
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The old days,we all miss them,i even miss the old uin,not powerhungry,but nice rp'ing bud,Buts its all a big mess now,from what i know,there are gonna be some big changes bri is planing,i hope stuff will come out good icon_sad.gif
View users profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
Marquis Drayfox
PostWed 05/28/03 6:37pm
Cry me a river.......... icon_twisted.gif  Reply with quote

Maelstrom696969
Lamer

Level: 35
XP
EXP: 101 / 130 EXP: 101 / 130 EXP: 101 / 130
 77%
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GorbGuy wrote:
Well, I have a theory behind all of these people being bored with Dyso, and it has a lot to do with leveling, so to speak. People here (and in the world of NWN in general) have this farked up misconception that in order to roleplay things out, one must reach 20th level. Well, what I always seem to find most odd about this, is the fact that there are players out there who are having a blast role playing at... 5th level, 4th level, etc.

You know what - and this isn't directed at you Gorb, I just quoted you here man because I wanted to discuss what you brought up - I have a fine time RolePlaying at ANY level. I would keep playing Dyso if there was suddenly no such thing as anything but Level 1, as long as there was always new stuff and people to talk to and critters to dance with. However, leveling is a reality, and what makes Dyso a little more boring for me these days is not that I *need* to be level 20 to RP, it's that I *can't* get to 20. With my all the stuff in my RL, and the fact that I like to play more than just 1 character every year, it's truly disappointing to know that I really won't ever get to 18 probably, much less 20! I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting that, either. It's not because I can't RP until I'm 20, it's because for all the work I put into a character and for how attached I get to them, I'd like them to be able to realize their full potential. To wax poetic, it's like being given just enough clay to aaalmooost....finish....your.......statue, but noooot........quiiiiite........
View users profile Send private message Send email Yahoo Messenger
Z
Hero

Level: 22
XP
EXP: 58 / 59 EXP: 58 / 59 EXP: 58 / 59
 98%
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think theres a problem here that people are pointing out that the old days were the best, or no, the present days are the best, and to critisise the old days people pick on the worst bits and vice versa with the new days. But how about a mixture of both??? (yes, some people have said this before but have been drowned out)

I see the old dyso (SV not LV) and new dyso as extremes, Id think the overwhelming majority of players would like something in between? I mean faster levelling but not as fast as old dyso yet not as slow as new dyso. And more money but not as much as old dyso. Oh, but no Gloth, Gloth if anything would just provide more incentive for people to get to 20 to get the super-dooper-uber pointless items. There also seriously needs to be some brainstorming into more things to do. Tradeskills were promised....... but for Rebirth, down went with tradeskills any chance of a decent economy. DM Events in my personal experience when I was playing alot, were too rare (and again, Im not picking on DMs here) and NON-DM events were hard to make fun.
And with guilds, I agree with Gorb when he says they need to be organised etc. The whole thing with guilds at the moment is that there isn't a great deal that you can do together as a group except kill/hunt. Oh, you can have discussions and have gatherings and parties, but in reality, there isnt alot you can participate in together as a guild. Unless, you are fortunate to have a DM as your head, who can then actually create authentic situations and scenarios for the group to participate in NOT neccesarily combat situations, puzzles, quests... the same kind of thing that normal non-guild DM events would involve. So what I ended up saying here was more along the lines that each guild should have its own DM, but what I mean to say as Uin said in his topic is that Dyso isn't fun anymore. Combination of nothing to do and boring, slow, repetitive levelling.

http://dyso.joelpt.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1515
http://www.againsttcpa.com/index.shtml
View users profile Send private message Send email MSN Messenger
not_so_unique
Master

Level: 13
XP
EXP: 5 / 30 EXP: 5 / 30 EXP: 5 / 30
 16%
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... the good ole' days? These ARE the good ole' days for me. Never played 2.x. You know what though? Life is like that. Memories are more cherishable than real-time experience. We often are not fond of experiences until they are memories.

As far as leveling goes... this comes up all the time in the forums. Who cares about leveling? I do. It is fun to realize all the abilities that are available for your character! But it is not fun to level past 18 in Dysotopia.

I used to RP about 85% of my time in Dyso and PG the remaining 15%. Now, when I PG at level 18, I get frustrated. Beating up on skellies gets REAL OLD REAL FAST and the XP just doesn't accumulate very quickly. Frustrated, I do something stupid like go to the Topaz Quary because there are many more spawns. There I get "harmed" by one of those stupid danged Kobolds and lose a week's worth of XP gain in a matter of minutes (god I hate harm... think I'll make a cleric and avenge that). Then I decide to do glathers, but that saps the hell out of costly healing potions and the XP is not commensurate with the difficulty level compared to skellies.

Anyway... That is why I have now given up on PG and pretty much RP 100% of the time I am in Dyso. But you know what? When I get in, I am not always in the mood for RP and a little PG can get me primed for RP. But since PG isn't fun at level 18, I find I just play less and less knowing that if I'm not in the mood for RP, then there will also be no catalyst through PG. The result... I find myself playing far less often than I used to when I could actually get somewhere at those rare times when I needed to just PG to get going on RP.

And I second what GorbGuy said. If there were a greater variety of places to go, that could ertainly be a good catalyst for RP even if the XP system were left unchanged.
Little Teapot
Deity

Level: 39
XP
EXP: 31 / 160 EXP: 31 / 160 EXP: 31 / 160
 19%
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FoxBoyTails wrote:
Damn you're old Uin! icon_mrgreen.gif

oh, believe you me, there's many a person older than Uin on this server...
pimp.gif
(I seriously need a Teapot emote, Foozsicle, Bri has His own emote!!! you have yours!!! icon_arrow.gif badger.gif , I have none!!! and I've played longer than ANYONE!!!)
   het ziet er toch wel een beetje naar uit dat we nederlands praten
Matthijs says:
   mischien moet ik dan maar eens vaker nederlands gaan praten
Matthijs says:
   kan je me ook meteen niet op al mijn spellinsfouten wijzen
There you have it! indisputable proof Solo's a fascist!!!
View users profile Send private message Send email AIM Address MSN Messenger
Maelstrom696969
Lamer

Level: 35
XP
EXP: 101 / 130 EXP: 101 / 130 EXP: 101 / 130
 77%
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Z wrote:
I see the old dyso (SV not LV) and new dyso as extremes, Id think the overwhelming majority of players would like something in between? I mean faster levelling but not as fast as old dyso yet not as slow as new dyso. And more money but not as much as old dyso. Oh, but no Gloth, Gloth if anything would just provide more incentive for people to get to 20 to get the super-dooper-uber pointless items. There also seriously needs to be some brainstorming into more things to do. . . what I mean to say as Uin said in his topic is that Dyso isn't fun anymore. Combination of nothing to do and boring, slow, repetitive levelling.

Thank you, Z! I think that one of the main complaints about 2.x was not that there was too many level 20's around, it's that they had all the super-uber-primo-Gloth crap. Limit all weapons and main armor to +3, with *maybe* the *occaisional, *extremely rare** +4 or +5 weapon from an event or something, and then getting to 20 would be just the final level, nothing more.

And YES! More FUN! stuff. I know the DM's are doing all they can, I'm not talking about that, there needs to be just more to do. Not just events, but quests, etc. Right now, you just have to hope you run across someone else who's willing to go along with you and just make stuff up, which is fine, but it doesn't happen that often. Or maybe you'll find someone (like Alizee) who makes up their own little "events". All it needs to be is FUN!!!
View users profile Send private message Send email Yahoo Messenger
Ectovult
Elder

XP
 83%
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Well, I have a theory behind all of these people being bored with Dyso, and it has a lot to do with leveling, so to speak. People here (and in the world of NWN in general) have this farked up misconception that in order to roleplay things out, one must reach 20th level. Well, what I always seem to find most odd about this, is the fact that there are players out there who are having a blast role playing at... 5th level, 4th level, etc.

Well, I would be the first one to agree with this, Gorb... the big problem is: not everyone on Dyso is a Role Player. And what does that mean? It means that you will be happilly RPing your lvl 3 rogue, when all of the sudden, a stupid-uber-lvl-20-powerlamer-PK comes and kills you. THAT my friend, is the problem.
Also, don't forget that, at low levels, you get very limited in space. At lvl 3 you can't get to more than half the places in Dyso, since you'll probably get bashed by a monster 10 levels above you. So, you'll have to refrain your RP to eleriina and the surrounding areas, which can be very frustrating.

I, for example, have leveled my character to lvl 11 slowly... I never missed a good chance to RP. I only went leveling when there was no one around. Now that Im on that level, I can get to a lot more places and my character can defend himself reasonably, Im happy and I won't bother with leveling anymore.

But I agree with your solutions. Especially the guilds part. Guilds NEED to be very active and need to play a very important role in Dyso, since they are one of the best ways to keep people together.
I also agree with Drudley. In all my time here in Dyso, I've always defended that all the IC rules should be handled IC, and some of the OOC can very well be transformed into IC rules.
Don't want people PKing everyone that steps out of eleriina? Fine, killing is illegal, so put guards patroling those areas... NPC guards AND PC guards...
The same goes for PP and all the other things. How can one RP if most of the rules are enforced OOC?
ShadowCore
Great Deity

Level: 42
XP
EXP: 27 / 186 EXP: 27 / 186 EXP: 27 / 186
 14%
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know Ecotvult, you are exactly right. As I've said before, it's not the system, it's that the people that are wrong.

And I do think guilds should get more active, but how do you expect any guild leader to be convincing when he's a crapping level 4(eg. Me). It's dumb. I think that guild leaders should be leveled to at least lvl 15 (Guild leaders as in, guilds from BEFORE the wipe, so it doesn't get exploited). It can be quite dumb to be standing there talking to someone to recruit when he's ten levels higher.

In any case, things MUST get better here. Bah

View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nei
Hero

Level: 21
XP
EXP: 40 / 56 EXP: 40 / 56 EXP: 40 / 56
 71%
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It think everybody is forgetting a large factor to this whole equation. A good number of Dyso's players were college students. 3.x was out for about a month before exams, then all of the college students are way too damn busy to play, a week after exams are over they move and lose their internet connections and freetime. Then when they come back to Dyso they find that their old RP buddies are not around and quit playing themselves. This partially happened to me. I am only now able to begin playing regularly again. I'm not saying this is the only reason, it is merely a factor that has not been included. Anyhow the server in the end is what you make of it. Have fun, and you'll likely make somebody else's experience more enjoyable in the process. See you all in game.
View users profile Send private message AIM Address
Nilas
Mortal

Level: 3
XP
EXP: 6 / 9 EXP: 6 / 9 EXP: 6 / 9
 66%
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey all, I really have no right placing my 2 cents here, as I was not an old 'Dyso 2X or before' player. But I have been on many server vaults, and alot of local vaults, and made my own of both. Been playing since the day it went public, so I can account for NWN experience icon_smile.gif Anyway...

I love the idea of moving the Eastern Isle to a place where the newbies can meet up with the rest of the players. I had a small advantage when I arrived in Dyso, because I had a friend who brought me here from another server. From what I have seen, that would help tremendously with the RP, as RPers are sometimes a finiky bunch. That being said, I will attest to something I had happen to me, as well as seen happen to others, and have strived to change. No one takes a low level seriously. I tried numerous times when my 'friend' was not on, to get involved in some of the RP plotlines that were going on, and the best I got was 'Thank you for your words, I will consider them'. Then promptly ignored when something went on. I am not blaming anyone, but it really is hard to get involved in most RP plotlines if people don't take you seriously. This is not a fault of Dyso, but a fault from simply becoming engrossed in a plotline so much, that you just don't want to get anyone else involved unless they can tip the balance somehow.
I have always strived (as a player and as a DM) to make any and all things open to anyone who wishes to come, unless that event is so deep that it is nearly over. Even then, bringing along a level 1-5 to a 'boss' battle is not wise, but sometimes its the thought that counts. Currently, the plotline I am involved in (character related) I NEED people to get into, there is no 'main' character and there is no 'end boss', I just need people to take an interest....I am RPing nearly 90% of the time, and only 'powergame' when the lag is bearable and no one is around. Yes, it is incredibly fustrating to die due to some fluke (your own fault or not) and believe me, Iam the KING of death in Dyso....least I hope I am, as if not, I REALLY feel sorry for anyone who has lost as much exp in the span of 1 level as me. icon_biggrin.gif

Yea, I do get into kicks where I want that extra level, but it is rare. I am quite happy with my character as he is now, and will likely continue only powergaming as I have been (once every 4 or 5 days and for like an hour or two) but it won't take away from my RP experience. Well, now that I have restated things a couple of times (I think) its time to catch some Z's.

Just keep your flames down a bit, I know I'm not an old Dyso person, so I can't say that I miss anything, but I see ALOT of wonderful RP plotlines coming up, if only people would see the potiental in them that I do....*sighs*

Nilas
View users profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
Drudo Wisto
Adept

Level: 6
XP
EXP: 3 / 14 EXP: 3 / 14 EXP: 3 / 14
 21%
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did I hear someone mention extremely rare +5 items ? Everyone has a +5 Red Dragon armor and I have seen many many +5 warhammers on people... how cute.
Jon316

Level: 51
XP
EXP: 189 / 280 EXP: 189 / 280 EXP: 189 / 280
 67%
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*watches and watches with a sigh but otherwise doesn't feel like posting on the matter except for one thing*

... dyso has been here through the bad and the good... and while people left or were banned, guess what...

it's still standing strong thanks to the efforts of a few tough assed admins that dont know the meaning of the word: "quit".

back the **** up and shut the hell up.

if you cant take the heat, get the hell outta the frying pan.

(ahhhh my good old days... im starting to feel it... and in a couple of days it will be back in full rightious fury!!!!!!) icon_twisted.gif
RedStorm
PostThu 05/29/03 10:38am
*hands jon a cheap pipe,umm i mean a peace pipe*
chill!

Ectovult
Elder

XP
 83%
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen Dyso trough many situations and evolve in various directions... and Ive always sticked to it... and that's what I am still going to do now...
No matter what happens, I'll always stick to Dyso...
But we all know very well that somethings are not the way they should be, so it's up to us to give our opinions and help Bri and the rest of the guys to continue their great work.
I know a lot of people who would already have quited if they were on the devs' shoes... but we can be very thankfull for having a godamn hell of a fantastic group making us stay and love Dyso more and more.
Dark / Omen
Master

Level: 10
XP
EXP: 20 / 22 EXP: 20 / 22 EXP: 20 / 22
 90%
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there was less arguements back in the old days except when Sirin Bow and Romanlus was involed but we new what to expect with them hehe. But what i miss from the old days is everyone new pretty much everyone OOC most of the time everyone got along and new it was a game and seperated OOC from IC . But we the older gamers want it the like they way it used to be need to show the noobs the same conduct we know and maybe it will shed over to them and maybe it will start the old trend back.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DysoForums Forum Index -> Chatter - History All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: