DysoForums Forum Index DysoForums
 
GalleryGallery   Donate to DysotopiaDonate   Dysotopia.com homepageDyso.com
SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStats   RegisterRegister 
 Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Roleplaying.....(Please, don't reply if you're only flaming)
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DysoForums Forum Index -> Complaints, Rants and Flames
View previous topic :: View next topic :: Hide signatures  
Author Message
ShadowCore
Great Deity


Joined: 25 Nov 2002
Posts: 2833

Level: 42
XP
EXP: 27 / 186 EXP: 27 / 186 EXP: 27 / 186
 14%
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 7:48 am    Post subject: Roleplaying.....(Please, don't reply if you're only flaming) Reply with quote

Roleplaying.
Since when has roleplaying become a BAD thing? I've seen Alizee say that he hates the people who say that you need to roleplay, and I he hasn't said an actually good thing about roleplaying.
Apparently, Raven found that Roleplaying wasn't worth his time, since he won't do it until he's powerful enough to play a powerful character(bah.....).

Why???? I thought this was an RP server, I thought the server would have IMPROVED since the last time I was here. Apparently, it has only deteriorated((No, not the server itself, just the people roleplaying))......

By the way, before you say "Let the powergamers be", I would like to say this:
If you have a server, where there's both RP and PG, the PGers need to be very aware of Roleplay, and actually do some.
INstead of getting pissed when a good character kills a beastie for them, they could RP it out. Instead of getting to lvl 20, and then RPing to be the best character around(which they might be, since they didn't roleplay), they should at least have sticked to RP, since it just isn't fair that way.

Lastly, I'd like to know who is actually roleplaying on this server????
_________________

Back to top
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nefiorim
Elder


Joined: 13 Sep 2002
Posts: 876

Level: 26
XP
EXP: 37 / 78 EXP: 37 / 78 EXP: 37 / 78
 47%
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Why???? I thought this was an RP server, I thought the server would have IMPROVED since the last time I was here. Apparently, it has only deteriorated((No, not the server itself, just the people roleplaying))......


The server was MEANT to be a rp server. Just because something is supposed to be something, doesn't mean it actually is...

Quote:
By the way, before you say "Let the powergamers be", I would like to say this:
If you have a server, where there's both RP and PG, the PGers need to be very aware of Roleplay, and actually do some.


Then they wouldn't really be PGers now would they...

Quote:
Lastly, I'd like to know who is actually roleplaying on this server????


I for one left because of the hostile environment versus "powergamers", and because of a lack of quests and other stuff to do that may actually get a character ahead.
_________________
Former Rogue Squad Leader, Kravenwood Militia
Forum Moderator, Off-Topic Forum
Forum Moderator, Complaints, Rants & Flames Forum
Back to top
View users profile Send private message
Y
Guest




Level: 51
XP
EXP: 189 / 280 EXP: 189 / 280 EXP: 189 / 280
 67%
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I'd like to know who is actually roleplaying on this server

well you would be amazed...

that said it depends what you mean by roleplay...

oh well you have bits of both roleplayer and actionner.. and in between..
who cares really as long as you are having fun
Back to top
Nefiorim
Elder


Joined: 13 Sep 2002
Posts: 876

Level: 26
XP
EXP: 37 / 78 EXP: 37 / 78 EXP: 37 / 78
 47%
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Y wrote:
who cares really as long as you are having fun


Indeed... are we?
_________________
Former Rogue Squad Leader, Kravenwood Militia
Forum Moderator, Off-Topic Forum
Forum Moderator, Complaints, Rants & Flames Forum
Back to top
View users profile Send private message
Raven
Hero


Joined: 30 Apr 2003
Posts: 612

Level: 22
XP
EXP: 38 / 59 EXP: 38 / 59 EXP: 38 / 59
 64%
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Roleplaying.....(Please, don't reply if you're only flam Reply with quote

ShadowCore wrote:
Roleplaying.
Since when has roleplaying become a BAD thing? I've seen Alizee say that he hates the people who say that you need to roleplay, and I he hasn't said an actually good thing about roleplaying.
Apparently, Raven found that Roleplaying wasn't worth his time, since he won't do it until he's powerful enough to play a powerful character(bah.....).


I'm getting fucking sick of people saying that. I've stopped RPing because I was ALREADY lvl 19 and I did one freaking burst of PG and got it over with. And because of that people call me a bad RPer. Next time don't quote things that you know nothing about.

You can sit here and rant all you want, or you can go in game and participate.
Back to top
View users profile Send private message Send email
Uin
Hardass


Joined: 04 Sep 2002
Posts: 1555

Level: 33
XP
EXP: 60 / 117 EXP: 60 / 117 EXP: 60 / 117
 51%
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since Power lvling is the only consistant reliable way to gain XP, its gonna have to be allowed. Since dyso doesn't support non-min/max chars, its gonna have to be allowed.

Theres a lot of perfectly good PGers who are perfectly fun to play with and RP situations that arise.

And theres a lot of so-called RPers who are not nice to play with (*cough*spamo*cough*).

The mod will continue to move towards RP, but PG must be allowed at some lvl as I'm not willing to play an char thats of no use and static chars are not fun to play. Please Spamo, its about time you pulled your head out of your arse.
_________________
Your Friendly Scottish Hardass Ex-Moderator
Stone Deaf
Back to top
View users profile Send private message Send email AIM Address MSN Messenger
Raven
Hero


Joined: 30 Apr 2003
Posts: 612

Level: 22
XP
EXP: 38 / 59 EXP: 38 / 59 EXP: 38 / 59
 64%
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nefiorim wrote:
Y wrote:
who cares really as long as you are having fun


Indeed... are we?


I am. Are you?
Back to top
View users profile Send private message Send email
dreamin'
Hero


Joined: 11 Nov 2002
Posts: 625

Level: 22
XP
EXP: 51 / 59 EXP: 51 / 59 EXP: 51 / 59
 86%
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, there's a difference between a PGer and people who from time to time want to gain XP from hack'n'slashing.
A PGer will max out his char, discard unnecessary skills and feats, and refuse/try to get away without RPing.
People like AliZee will RP when they're around other RPers, but not sit idle at the fountain when noone's around just because the thought of hack'n'slash makes them shiver. As long as you don't disrupt other people's RP by constantly talking (talk mode!) in OOC terms or refuse to interact with other people, I see no problem if you want to gain a few levels by killing hundreds of monsters.
Pging begins when you don't do anything else, or ignore/disrupt other people trying to interact with you all the time.
People who think they've invented RP and have nothing better to do than tell everyone how to RP, or think that a little hack'n'slash now and then and a few fast levels make you a bad RPer, are just as bad as the worst PGer, cause both types make playing not fun.
That doesn't change that things like "I need lvl xx to RP" still sound very suspicious to me, just out of experience, cause in the past those usually were either PGers who wanted to show off their uber char once they got to lvl 20, or they were the self appointed watchers of RP who needed to be lvl 20 to bring down terrible justice to all those poor lower level PGers.
I think just as there are powergamers who look at the game as a game of numbers and building the strongest char, there are those powerroleplayers who thrill on the thought how superior their RP is and how they can constantly display that. But I think both types have more and more left Dyso, cause Dyso isn't optimal for both types anymore icon_mrgreen.gif
Back to top
View users profile Send private message
X
Master


Joined: 23 May 2003
Posts: 116

Level: 9
XP
EXP: 16 / 20 EXP: 16 / 20 EXP: 16 / 20
 80%
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I try and Rp most the time, but what some have to realise is that, when your rp and you get into an argement with someone 4 lvls higher than you, yoiu know in your head he can beat you, so you like to Pg a little so that your a decent match for the rp battle that mite occur.... icon_mrgreen.gif
_________________
Your Lovely Brummy Friend

Fear is nothing without power
Sariia - A Sister of "The Red Rose"
Eastern Winds - Palidin of Tyr
Back to top
View users profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Conrad Hollows
Har-Rhun Project Leader


Joined: 07 Sep 2002
Posts: 2161

Level: 38
XP
EXP: 13 / 153 EXP: 13 / 153 EXP: 13 / 153
 8%
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked what Dreamin' said a whole lot and its true ...

You get the "controllers" from both the character build side as well as the RP build side. The Character-design Nazis against the RP Gestapo. There isn't ever going to be any peace there.
_________________
Envision something suitably witty here.
Back to top
View users profile Send private message Send email MSN Messenger
Sep
Elder


Joined: 22 Apr 2003
Posts: 899

Level: 26
XP
EXP: 60 / 78 EXP: 60 / 78 EXP: 60 / 78
 76%
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I roleplay.

I powergame.

Most importantly, I have a good time, and contribute to the entertainment of those who party with me, or those whose paths cross with mine.
_________________
"Here comes Halfling death!"
Back to top
View users profile Send private message
AliZee'
PostWed 06/11/03 5:17pm
Ali dont know how to role play......  Reply with quote
 
Nefiorim
Elder


Joined: 13 Sep 2002
Posts: 876

Level: 26
XP
EXP: 37 / 78 EXP: 37 / 78 EXP: 37 / 78
 47%
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven wrote:
I am. Are you?


If you actually read my post above you'd see I'm not playing anymore..
_________________
Former Rogue Squad Leader, Kravenwood Militia
Forum Moderator, Off-Topic Forum
Forum Moderator, Complaints, Rants & Flames Forum
Back to top
View users profile Send private message
Glorin
PostWed 06/11/03 6:51pm
i enjoy roleplaying, it makes me happy  Reply with quote
 
Raven
Hero


Joined: 30 Apr 2003
Posts: 612

Level: 22
XP
EXP: 38 / 59 EXP: 38 / 59 EXP: 38 / 59
 64%
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nefiorim wrote:
Raven wrote:
I am. Are you?


If you actually read my post above you'd see I'm not playing anymore..


So you're not.
Back to top
View users profile Send private message Send email
GorbGuy
PostWed 06/11/03 7:16pm
http://dyso.joelpt.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4380  Reply with quote
 
Griff Inn
Ice Lolly


Joined: 10 Sep 2002
Posts: 679

Level: 23
XP
EXP: 46 / 65 EXP: 46 / 65 EXP: 46 / 65
 70%
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was tending towards being one of those RP Gestapo people, but I've realised it's a bit dumb to do so. Powergaming is fine (with a few exceptions) so long as you back it up with some decent roleplay. There's really no point in ranting at the supposed PGers, as even they put an effort into roleplaying their character. The only things I don't like are the people who spend their entire time leveling from 1 to 20 without a single thought towards roleplay, the skill point stackers and the damn X sorc/1 pallys. Other than that, powergame to your hearts content. Just try to put a bit of RP in there as well and you're alright. This is an RP server after all! icon_wink.gif

Griff
_________________
Never underestimate the power of hot tea.
Back to top
View users profile Send private message
Ogt
PostWed 06/11/03 8:21pm
dont listen to spamcore he is crazy, dont listen to him  Reply with quote
 
AliZee'
High Elder


Joined: 17 Feb 2003
Posts: 1069

Level: 28
XP
EXP: 69 / 87 EXP: 69 / 87 EXP: 69 / 87
 79%
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i mean for real though...what is this?? you people leave coz YOU want to leave...if you wanted to "RP" then you'd stay and "RP", but instead you leave and then come on here and preach your "RP" philosophys and shit, well im tired of hearing that shit...thats why you might read me somewhere saying "you damn RP'ers blah blah blah"...whatever!!!
half you people left becoz you dont like tha fact that its hard to powergame....then tha other half left because they say its hard to RP...all of you need to pull your heads out tha QUAGMIRE you got it stuck in and stop bullshitting...if you leave its YOUR choice...dont start pointing tha finger and blaming it on this and that, coz aint nobody ever forced you to do anything...anyways...im through with topics like these...but i will come in and flame on your "RP'er" arses constantly. coz it makes me feel like a man!!!!! icon_biggrin.gif hehe nah just coz i like fuccin with yall...your so damn funny!!!!

lower your expectations and you might actually have a little fun here...not everyone can live up to YOUR standards of how to do shit...we all do our best and im sorry if you feel thats unsatisfactory for you and you feel like you have to go somewhere else...but in reality..i could really give a shit less...my "RP" skillz are minimal...tha only shit i can handle is light and fluffy...if it gets to deep and heavy, i start craving ciggarettes for some reason hmmm....anyways....

i think most of it stems from tha fact that yall come from a PnP background and when you hop on tha internet and come in here you expect it to be tha same or pretty damn similar...well its not...and i tried explaining this to someone once bafore...he was all in this attitude about RP'in a low lvl Character like that low lvl CHaracter could cause some major damage or sumthin...saying that THAT was tha way to "RP" but i took it from a different perspective and if i knew how to post links then i would but i dont so if you interested in what that was about then i suggest you go read that....coz people was sayin some pretty good points on this and that and it might help you to see things from a different view and not end up so disapointed in us "PG'ers"....anyways...gone for sure this time....


Last edited by AliZee' on Wed Jun 11, 2003 10:03 pm, edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View users profile Send private message
M-K
PostThu 06/12/03 1:35am
Writes note ...remember to give Alizee gold next time see ..clever little hafling  Reply with quote
 
ShadowCore
Great Deity


Joined: 25 Nov 2002
Posts: 2833

Level: 42
XP
EXP: 27 / 186 EXP: 27 / 186 EXP: 27 / 186
 14%
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
i think most of it stems from tha fact that yall come from a PnP background and when you hop on tha internet and come in here you expect it to be tha same or pretty damn similar...well its not...

I don't come from a PnP background, all I learnt about RP is what I learnt here, and that is also why I think that the current situation SUCKS.

I don't ask you to live up to my standards, I don't ask you to constantly roleplay, who cares if you don't roleplay when noone is around? What I do ask, is that you actually roleplay when others are around, that you not only try to make it good for yourself, but also for others, by actually roleplaying with them BECAUSE THEY CAME HERE TO ROLEPLAY, this is a roleplay server. People seem to forget that. People seem to forget that Roleplay should be most important, and not powergaming.

The last times, when someone complains about powergaming, he gets shot down "Because this is also a PG server."

It's stupid, because the server has taken some big steps backward since the first time I was here, and that is also why I want this place to be more RP friendly, but I don't want the entire PG concept to be destroyed, because where would we be if it weren't for a bit of mindless fun now and then? Personally, I don't like the powergaming, but I don't want people to stop doing what they want to do, I do want them to START doing what this server was meant for in the first place, it was never meant for a freaking PG place, it was meant (in it's current form) for Roleplay.

The main reason I'm saying all this, because I have a hard time believeing people like Drizz't are sincere about roleplay, or people like "Don't Mes With Me", who look like a Drow, want to roleplay.

BAH, but if the Devs and DMs actually want this place to be a non-roleplay place, a place where PG is more valued than RP I guess this is not a place for people like me.((Please don't say something hateful about that....))
_________________

Back to top
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jon316
Guest




Level: 51
XP
EXP: 189 / 280 EXP: 189 / 280 EXP: 189 / 280
 67%
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pobodies Nerfect. icon_mrgreen.gif icon_mrgreen.gif icon_mrgreen.gif
Back to top
X
Master


Joined: 23 May 2003
Posts: 116

Level: 9
XP
EXP: 16 / 20 EXP: 16 / 20 EXP: 16 / 20
 80%
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

don't ask you to live up to my standards, I don't ask you to constantly roleplay, who cares if you don't roleplay when noone is around? What I do ask, is that you actually roleplay when others are around, that you not only try to make it good for yourself, but also for others, by actually roleplaying with them BECAUSE THEY CAME HERE TO ROLEPLAY, this is a roleplay server. People seem to forget that. People seem to forget that Roleplay should be most important, and not powergaming.



Oh dear god, well... My personal experience would disagree with your view entirely. The first time i joined dyso it was action ,and u got 5 vlvs free..to be honest thats why i stayed...to begin with....The key to the success of dysotopia is not Roleplay....and it is not powergaming...it is simply the enviromental factors and social influence that we become enroled with.

In english..we keep coming back because of the social atmosphere we enjoy...in role and out of role...for example In role my character hates goblins, but in real life hati cracks me up...therefore sometimes its hard to distinguish but i still come back everyday to speak to my friends ic and ooc. So stop the boring arguement over how roleplay controls dysotopia and discuss the improvements required to adapt the social feeling.... icon_mrgreen.gif
_________________
Your Lovely Brummy Friend

Fear is nothing without power
Sariia - A Sister of "The Red Rose"
Eastern Winds - Palidin of Tyr
Back to top
View users profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Jon316
Guest




Level: 51
XP
EXP: 189 / 280 EXP: 189 / 280 EXP: 189 / 280
 67%
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all good man, that's what the modules main purpose I believe at this stage in development is for... enjoyment.

I could be wrong though........nah.
Back to top
African Ape
Guest




Level: 51
XP
EXP: 189 / 280 EXP: 189 / 280 EXP: 189 / 280
 67%
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShadowCore wrote:
Eugenio Pacelli, later Pope Pius XII wrote:

The Munich chapter of the German Communist Party is chaotic, filthy and full of Jews

You're a racist, ShadowCore.
Back to top
Marquis Drayfox
Fox Child


Joined: 08 Oct 2002
Posts: 1390

Level: 32
XP
EXP: 6 / 111 EXP: 6 / 111 EXP: 6 / 111
 5%
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I have a better idea for you ShadowCore...

If you don't like it, leave!!! Not just the server, but the forums too. Nobody wants to hear about how you are god of all roleplay and that you set the roleplay rules. Everyones version of roleplay is different, one way or another. I think PGing is lame as well, but we ALL have done it! This is a game for god's sake. So quit your whining and go away.
_________________
KitsuneJin - Fox Person
Drayfox - Half Dragon, Half Fox
Marquis (Pronounce Mahr-kee) - Leader; Person in charge.
Back to top
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Conrad Hollows
Har-Rhun Project Leader


Joined: 07 Sep 2002
Posts: 2161

Level: 38
XP
EXP: 13 / 153 EXP: 13 / 153 EXP: 13 / 153
 8%
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To put some positive spin into an otherwise totally negative topic ...

I want to give props to Ape for really doing some decent RP out there these days. I never thought I'd see the day ... but even when he was lower level with this guy, he was making the effort and he's still at it.
_________________
Envision something suitably witty here.
Back to top
View users profile Send private message Send email MSN Messenger
ShadowCore
Great Deity


Joined: 25 Nov 2002
Posts: 2833

Level: 42
XP
EXP: 27 / 186 EXP: 27 / 186 EXP: 27 / 186
 14%
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If you don't like it, leave!!! Not just the server, but the forums too. Nobody wants to hear about how you are god of all roleplay and that you set the roleplay rules. Everyones version of roleplay is different, one way or another. I think PGing is lame as well, but we ALL have done it! This is a game for god's sake. So quit your whining and go away.

What did I say about flaming? Guess you're not reading stuff.....

In any case, I am NOT telling you HOW to roleplay, I am telling you that people should be roleplaying when others are around, could you please act a little less hostile, and act a bit more friendly and actually read what I am saying? I don't like PGing, but I'm not saying it's forbidden. I don't care what you do, as long as you roleplay when others are around who also want to roleplay, this is after all, a roleplay server.


And African Ape, could you shut your assy little immature dumb hole and go insult and ridicule someone else???? YOu are a pathetic little man, if all you can do is insult others in a completely prepostrous and dumb unfounded way taht makes no sense at all. Please, just shut up.
_________________

Back to top
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Psyker
Mortal


Joined: 05 Jun 2003
Posts: 23

Level: 3
XP
EXP: 5 / 9 EXP: 5 / 9 EXP: 5 / 9
 55%
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
X Wrote:
I try and Rp most the time, but what some have to realise is that, when your rp and you get into an argement with someone 4 lvls higher than you, yoiu know in your head he can beat you, so you like to Pg a little so that your a decent match for the rp battle that mite occur....


Is that why you switched characters to try to kill us Shadow bretheryn when your less superior mage was insufficient?

Are your two characters somehow connected by some mysterious force?
icon_wink.gif
_________________
What's going on here?
Back to top
View users profile Send private message
X
Master


Joined: 23 May 2003
Posts: 116

Level: 9
XP
EXP: 16 / 20 EXP: 16 / 20 EXP: 16 / 20
 80%
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually my the newer character is the re birth of the older character...and if you want to flame me do it in a pm, not publically to try and show yourself off.
_________________
Your Lovely Brummy Friend

Fear is nothing without power
Sariia - A Sister of "The Red Rose"
Eastern Winds - Palidin of Tyr
Back to top
View users profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DysoForums Forum Index -> Complaints, Rants and Flames All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.2 © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group