DysoForums Forum Index DysoForums

GalleryGallery   Donate to DysotopiaDonate   Dysotopia.com homepageDyso.com
SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStats   RegisterRegister 
 Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

New mod?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DysoForums Forum Index -> Chatter
View previous topic :: View next topic :: Hide signatures  

Which would you rather see...
Dyso continue to be served by me?
63%
 63%  [ 23 ]
New player created mod served by me?
36%
 36%  [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 36

GorbGuy

Level: 51
XP
EXP: 189 / 280 EXP: 189 / 280 EXP: 189 / 280
 67%
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 4:32 pm    Post subject: New mod? Reply with quote

Just want to get a general feel of things. As many already know, I've about had it with Dyso. So much so, I would probably puke if I weren't a prick and got a kick out it. Anyways, The thought of dropping the mod has been seriously crossing my mind, so I had an idea. I want to see how many of you out there would like to see Dyso continue, or to get a new player created mod going. One where some of you players will do the design, coding, etc. I'll lay out the ground work; the base cities, some of the NPC's, and the base storyline, and you guys do the rest. So...

::Edit:: Also, explain why.
Celestial_Evil
Adept

Level: 8
XP
EXP: 4 / 19 EXP: 4 / 19 EXP: 4 / 19
 21%
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorb you probably know this already but there is nothing wrong with the mod itself, it is some of the people here that cant have it their way and cant get over it. Dont let it get to ya. And besides...if the vote was going towards creating another mod ill probably vote as many times as possible in order to make it otherwise emot-yum.gif
View users profile Send private message
Raven
Hero

Level: 22
XP
EXP: 38 / 59 EXP: 38 / 59 EXP: 38 / 59
 64%
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is ONE thing that I'd like to see Dyso have, is a player controlled political system. As such, guilds should control the land, and resulted conflicts should reflect actual physical changes to the landscape.

If Dyso will not have that, then I vote for a new mod.
View users profile Send private message Send email
GorbGuy

XP
 67%
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Celestial_Evil wrote:
Gorb you probably know this already but there is nothing wrong with the mod itself, it is some of the people here that cant have it their way and cant get over it. Dont let it get to ya. And besides...if the vote was going towards creating another mod ill probably vote as many times as possible in order to make it otherwise emot-yum.gif
I disagree. I think people have become bored with the mod and frustrated that things aren't / can't be added or changed because of the cruddy design of Dyso, which in turn is causing some hostility. Heck, I'm even so bored with it, I haven't been on much the past few weeks. I voted new mod, because it's time for a change.
Celestial_Evil
Adept

Level: 8
XP
EXP: 4 / 19 EXP: 4 / 19 EXP: 4 / 19
 21%
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose in the end what the majority wants would be best for everyone, I for one would hate to see dyso dissapear for better or for worse, I dont seem I will get to like any other mod than dyso, heck i cant even spend more than 3 minutes in any other server.
Glorin
The Badgermouthed

XP
EXP: 82 / 280 EXP: 82 / 280 EXP: 82 / 280
 29%
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Dyso, If anything atleast let it run to its 1 year anniversary!

After not playing the mod for like a month I come back and although many things are the same many small things are different, and it makes a big difference. Like i walk around and see Black Paladin wearing this Black Armor, in combo with her White Face it makes her look like a Vampire. Then Uin walking around in this paladin like Suit....Things i hadn't seen neither expected to see months back...Dyso can be good again, Dyso can reach its "glory" days again, At one point there was ALWAYS people complaining, Hell people were saying Dyso was dying months ago, but it still kept going. Many people lost faith and left in OCTOBER when the original servers were lost! In OCTOBER! Dyso has been around for almost a year now, Hell I've been in dyso for almost a year now! And I don't wanna see this Mod die. The mod seems new exciting to me now, and it must seem the same way or even better to new people coming in who haven't experienced any of it ever before!...Make the mod better, keep working at it, but if you've lost the will, you've lost the will and theres not much to do about that......
[quote:a89551bc29="AliZee'"]that shits utterly devoid of any meaningless sense...i tottally disagree on tha basis that tha argument you have pressented is full of actual facts and shit, i think based on tha fact that i have no idea of what tha fuck you were talkin gabout i would have to wholoeheartedly proclaim that you are wrong.
Thank you,
AliZee'[/quote]
View users profile Send private message Send email MSN Messenger
Raven
PostMon 07/07/03 4:47pm
Something fresh would be interesting. I think having a few more devs on the team will help alot. I'd volunteer. I have nothing but time.  Reply with quote

Sep
Elder

Level: 26
XP
EXP: 60 / 78 EXP: 60 / 78 EXP: 60 / 78
 76%
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See my reply here. http://dyso.joelpt.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=64569#64569

Also a few things to add:

-No matter what the decision, people will come and go.
-Everyone's tastes are different.
-I would support a new mod, if the designers/scripters were truly dedicated to making, and maintaining, a good mod. Otherwise, I'd rather stick to Dyso.

[edit] I agree with the above as well...something fresh would be good. Same brand, but a different flavor maybe? A lot of the players on Dyso know where everything and everyone is. Many have lost sense of adventure/danger. A vault wipe is a way of levelling the character's playing field, but a new mod would level the player's field as well. I really feel for you having to make this call Gorb.
Glorin
PostMon 07/07/03 5:10pm
from what gorb tells me a new mod seems the only way to go.......oh well  Reply with quote

Raven
Hero

XP
 64%
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we are to make a new mod, I would suggest the following: Since we already have a community here, we should regroup into different clans/factions/guilds/whatever, and each would control a portion of the territory. But it would not be final like it is now. Guilds will have the power to conquer and divide. New guilds/clans/factions/whatever could be formed, and old ones overthrown. Those who do not want to be part of the political scene can stay aside.

Devs would be pretty busy, but if we have a dedicated, commited team, it could work.
Sep
PostMon 07/07/03 5:12pm
I would like to see SoU features implemented either way.  Reply with quote

AliZee'
High Elder

Level: 28
XP
EXP: 69 / 87 EXP: 69 / 87 EXP: 69 / 87
 79%
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like dyso...i like tha people that play here...and thats tha only reason im still here...personally i liked it more when it was 2.x...but tha only reason i havent up and moved to another server thats exactly like 2.x was...is because of tha people thats HERE.....
i voted for tha first choice...but i think im a little bit of both...keep dyso...but we also have a ton of people who are good with scripting and who are working on there own mods and what not...why not pool all those people together and add them to tha desgin team of Dyso..instead of everyone doing there own thing seperate and leaving dyso...dont let anybody add what they want..coz then all things would go to hell...we would have so many different scripts...but do a collective brain storm and discuss all tha ideas and all tha stuff that people have already done and add more and more...

another thing...
STOP wipeing tha damn servers...we got all tha rules set up...there arent any high levels out there right now that are gonna make this place less friendly to newbies and what not..and all tha items that are now out there floating around dont have to be wiped out to make it more of a level playing field....you can just script NEW items that even things out...even if you do away with some items...it wont be a problem if there are still some floating around...if tha NEW items sort of equaled tha old ones...you get my drift??...

i got 5 on tha Sac-a-Indo..everyone chip in and we can pass around tha peace pipe...everyone needs to Chill.... pimp.gif
GorbGuy

XP
 67%
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sep wrote:
I really feel for you having to make this call Gorb.
Hmm, to clarify... this really isn't just a "I'm mad and am going to pout" post. Really, this thought has been crossing my mind for a couple months. Which is where the Idea Vault came to play. I wanted to get a feel for things then. Yes, this past weekend has kinda been the breaking point for me, but the general idea for starting up a new mod has been with me for a while. It's not totally because I'm mad at the players, it's not totally because I'm bored with the Dyso landscape, and it's not because I've had enough of hearing the same complaints about it over and over. It's just a combination of all. And from where I'm sitting, it's really time for something fresh, not just a new NPC, map, or monster. And as I've told a few others via IM, even adding these things is not easy to do when we are trying to troubleshoot and diagnose the coding which was... for a lack of a better term.. kinda thrown together. Wonder why Tuskan and Glorin's city weren't added? Because the challenge of adding them was pretty big.

Last edited by GorbGuy on Mon Jul 07, 2003 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total
Drudley
PostMon 07/07/03 5:17pm
I'm all for what Raven says.

And Subdual damage!!!

It's all about options.

Sep
PostMon 07/07/03 5:17pm
Damn Ali when did you turn into a pothead? icon_mrgreen.gif  Reply with quote

Raven
Hero

XP
 64%
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We don't have to let the players here add what they want, but we could assemble a team from the community here, led by a head developper.
AliZee'
High Elder

Level: 28
XP
EXP: 69 / 87 EXP: 69 / 87 EXP: 69 / 87
 79%
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven wrote:
We don't have to let the players here add what they want, but we could assemble a team from the community here, led by a head developper.

yea thats what i was saying...*puff* *puff*

[quote:076179584b="Ogt"]farts leave the athmosfere because they have their OWN WILL, they are TIRED of being farts, and decieded that they would make their OWN PLANETS!!!!!!!!!![/quote]
GOLD!!!
Nei
Hero

Level: 21
XP
EXP: 40 / 56 EXP: 40 / 56 EXP: 40 / 56
 71%
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Ali on this one... I'm still around here, however infrequent it maybe, almost solely because of the other players. It's your call Gorb, I just hope that this new server will be able to retain and regain some of the better players who've been on Dyso. It'll be a tough decision to make. Dyso was a good mod, but it has become stagnant, whether it will ever be revitilized... who can say. I'll at least try out the new server if you do go that way.
View users profile Send private message AIM Address
Sep
Elder

XP
 76%
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GorbGuy wrote:
Sep wrote:
I really feel for you having to make this call Gorb.
Hmm, to clarify... this really isn't just a "I'm mad and am going to pout" post. Really, this thought has been crossing my mind for a couple months. Which is where the Idea Vault came to play. I wanted to get a feel for things then. Yes, this past weekend has kinda been the breaking point for me, but the general idea for starting up a new mod has been with me for a while. It's not totally because I'm mad at the players, it's not totally because I'm bored with the Dyso landscape, and it's not because I've had enough of hearing the same complaints about it over and over. It's just a combination of all. And from where I'm sitting, it's really time for something fresh, not just a new NPC, map, or monster. And as I've told a few others via IM, even adding these things is not easy to do when we are trying to troubleshoot and diagnose the coding which was... for a lack of a better term.. kinda thrown together. Wonder why Tuskan and Glorin's city weren't added? Because the challenge of adding them was pretty big.

I wasnt trying to molly-coddle ya man. It really does suck when youre in this predicament. But from the way I am reading, it looks like we will be seeing something new. I do think the team approach will bring people together, as long as the team is level-headed and reasonable with each other.
Griff Inn
Ice Lolly

Level: 23
XP
EXP: 46 / 65 EXP: 46 / 65 EXP: 46 / 65
 70%
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am neutral towards both, though if absolutely forced to make a choice, it would be to stay with dyso.

However, I wouldn't say starting fresh isn't a good idea. In fact, it might be a very good thing to wipe the slate clean and start over. But, this would not work if we put just anyone to work on this new mod. No, it has to be a select few who are trustable and dependable. If this were to ever happen, Conrad is definately the best choice for chief head high lord "my decision is final" guy. There are plenty of moderators, DMs, and trustable players who can script. It's time for food, so I will leave it at that. icon_mrgreen.gif

Griff
Maelstrom696969
Lamer

Level: 35
XP
EXP: 101 / 130 EXP: 101 / 130 EXP: 101 / 130
 77%
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Change is good.

I think what makes a successful server, though, is to have 1 and only 1 person truly fully in charge of everything. Someone respectful and respected who isn't afraid to make snap decisions on what should or shouldn't happen because they believe in themselves, but isn't too proud to admit when they're wrong. I don't know if that's possible here, since the Administration of Dyso is now shared by so many, but that's what seems to work best other places I've been. Believe it or not, it actually allows for MORE player input, because there's only 1 person who has to wade through everything, only 1 person truly calling the shots, and therefore no mucky-muck of beauracracy.

Change is good.
View users profile Send private message Send email Yahoo Messenger
Raven
PostMon 07/07/03 5:42pm
No one should have veto power. I think if devs come into a conflict, they should vote.  Reply with quote

Maelstrom696969
Lamer

Level: 35
XP
EXP: 101 / 130 EXP: 101 / 130 EXP: 101 / 130
 77%
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not Veto power. It's called "This Is My Server, What I Say Goes". Not a great way to run a country, but it really is a damned good way to run a NWN server.
View users profile Send private message Send email Yahoo Messenger
Raven
PostMon 07/07/03 5:55pm
I was replying to the thread before that.  Reply with quote

guitarrML
Master

Level: 10
XP
EXP: 12 / 22 EXP: 12 / 22 EXP: 12 / 22
 54%
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My vote is pretty much summed up by saying that something new would be very nice. I too was sticking to Dyso because of the people, but lately it's just too dang boring for even the people to make me stay. I'd be all for trying something new and from what I can see, there are quite a few talented scripters and mod creators on Dyso. icon_cool.gif
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
Ectovult
Elder

Level: 24
XP
EXP: 57 / 68 EXP: 57 / 68 EXP: 57 / 68
 83%
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The idea is great, but it's almost utopic...
Players being able to design new cities, new items, etc is incredibly great and would bring a new life to this community.. BUT... this can be very difficult to handle/organize thus turning a great idea into a NIGHTMARE...

It's really hard to say...

I would say, keep Dyso icon_smile.gif
Sep
Elder

XP
 76%
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could there be a seperate building and scripting team? One makes up the areas and one does the scripts? People could submit naked areas and the scripting team make it work?
Raven
PostMon 07/07/03 6:23pm
If areas will have custom scripts, then it's just a matter of putting them in onenter, etc.  Reply with quote

Sep
Elder

XP
 76%
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, so if say, i wanted to submit an area, with npc's but no custom scripts or dialogue...it would be relatively easy to integrate into the big picture?
Raven
Hero

XP
 64%
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if you are really a modder, you should be able to put basic dialogue into NPCs and such. I'm talking about uniform scripts that all areas would want to have, for example, reveal map to player who posses some item.

But if you don't want to script, and just make areas, it's relatively easy to intergrate them in, if that's what's you're asking.

But I must stress again, I think if there will be a new mod, the important thing is to have players control most aspects of decision making political wise. Scripts and decorations are secondary.
Post new topic   This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DysoForums Forum Index -> Chatter All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: