I am a passionate polyglot programmer with a focus on producing elegant, functional code. I bring an optimistic "can-do" attitude, a breadth of technical and design skills, an eye for good UX, and a strong desire to advance and hone my skills.
My goal is to work for an ethically-minded company, working on interesting and challenging projects with awesome people.
- I have deep experience in all aspects of the software development lifecycle, from requirements gathering, planning and design through to implementation, validation and ongoing support.
- I have broad experience in full stack web development across many platforms, with a deep background in databases and modern cross-browser design concerns.
- I know a wide range of programming languages (ES6/Typescript, C#, Java, Python, SQL, regex, ...) and am adept at picking up new ones.
- I am skilled at the software design process. At Amazon I created my team's design process guide and template, which were subsequently adopted for use across the parent org.
- I have done extensive technical modelling, including database schema design, security/threat modelling, interface design, framework design, and markup syntax design.
- I have done significant work around accessibility, localization and responsive design, and have an eye for good UX design.
- I have planned, implemented and maintained physical, VM and cloud infrastructures.
- I have managed a team of developers and served as an effective and flexible scrummaster.
- I value accountability and taking the initiative whenever I can.
- I'm a creative problem solver who can break a problem down into small solvable parts, either independently or with a group.
- Because I enjoy working with happy people, I actively work to promote camaraderie within my team.
- I have strong communication skills and a decent sense of humor.
- Top code contributor and code reviewer on the Kindle Web Reader and Amazon Internal Wiki teams
- Key architect of the modular presentation framework used by Kindle Web Reader, built with Typescript, SASS, RequireJS, and Grunt
- Co-authored the security and threat model documentation covering multiple versions of both Kindle Web Reader and Amazon Internal Wiki, formally audited by Amazon
- Designed and implemented a mission-critical, multi-region cloud-based clustering server architecture for the Amazon Internal Wiki with "Tier 0" availability (e.g. if AWS goes down, the wiki still works)
- Created the design process guide and design document template for the Amazon Internal Wiki team. These were subsequently adopted and used successfully by the team's broader parent org.
- Designed and implemented the SQL database on Android for a new feature on Kindle Fire tablets
- Served as scrummaster across all my teams, then initiated and established a teamwide scrummaster rotation and mentored other scrummasters to foster teamwide product-level thinking
- Championed the adoption of the Git flow workflow strategy, and good Git hygiene in general, across multiple teams
- Contributed positively to my teams' cultures by hosting team events, sharing workflow tips, and advocating for developer quality-of-life improvements and tech debt burndown in story planning
- Led the development of a web-based hospital discharge management application with Fax, SMS, HL7, REST capabilities, using Java/Spring3 and MS SQL Server/SSRS on the backend
- Created multiple DB-web applications to enable searching, ranking, appointment scheduling, and education about long-term care providers, using C#, ASP, XSLT, and MS SQL Server/SSRS
- Devised a fax-based UI paradigm allowing computerless users to interact with the company's products via forms-based OCR processing and SMS
- Created an ETL process including a custom flat-text-to-data-table parser for deduplicating and importing provider data from 100+ disparate sources, using SQL Server, SSIS and C#
- Collaborated on the company's physical server/network infrastructure design and subsequent migration to a VM-based infrastructure
- Researched, wrote, and implemented the company's HIPAA policies and procedures, and served as company's HIPAA Privacy Officer, Security Officer, and in-house trainer
- Managed a 4-person development team including hiring/firing and implementation of Agile processes
- Improved team workflow by introducing improved version control (SVN), issue tracking (Jira), and internal documentation (wiki) software and process
- Worked with Customer Support and Sales teams to create a Customer Support Triage Workflow with Salesforce integration and round-robin phone+SMS system
- Created MS Access-based application to manage entire department's employees and generate weekly payroll
- Managed 300 home-based contractors
- Spring, Android, RequireJS, Grunt, JQuery, Underscore
- HTML5, CSS3/LESS/SASS, SOAP/REST, HL7
- MS SQL Server/SSRS/SSIS, MySQL, SQLite, DynamoDB, Hive, Google App Datastore, MS Access
- Server Stacks
- Windows Server, Linux Server, VMWare, AWS
- Git, Atlassian Suite, Office, Photoshop